Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2010 10:00

Compatible graphics card for duel monitors

i want to connect a second monitor to my Dell inspiron 518. I have an older card but it says not compatible. Could you tell me what pci card i need to connect a second monitor?

Thank you,

381 Posts

February 21st, 2010 11:00

The 518 is a fine computer.  The 518 is PCI Express x 16.  Your older card might be an AGP which is not compatible.  If you want a second monitor only and not gaming performance, any of the affordable ($40) PCI Express x 16 video cards will work fine for you.  Most support two monitors.  What monitor do you have now?  Are you thinking about a second monitor that matches or is larger?

David

2 Posts

February 21st, 2010 14:00

I have a samsung 25 inch conneted to on board card. Will connect this to new pci graphics card and connect a 17 inch ACER monitor to the onboard card. It is running vista home premium.Will this work?

381 Posts

February 21st, 2010 18:00

This will not work.  You run either the onboard or the add-in, but not both.  But the add-in PCI Express cards have two monitor ports.  Is your 17" Acer monitor VGA or DVI?  If it is also VGA, you will want to make sure that you get an extra DVI to VGA adapter for your new card.  That way it can drive both.  You may need to go into the BIOS on bootup and enable the add-in card for video.  Plus, follow the instructions listed on this forum for installing whichever card you purchase.

David

No Events found!