Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2010 19:00

Computer Won't Start, Fan on Full Blast

I have an XPS Gen III (little more than 6 years old), but besides being old I haven't had any problems with it. However, yesterday when I turned it on, after 2 seconds the only thing that happened was the fan turned on full blast after about 2s. There was no display on the monitor and no beeps from the board. Also, there was nothing significant to my knowledge that would have caused this (i.e. no power surge).

From what I have gathered, it's either the mobo, CPU, PSU or video card. I removed all the RAM, booted and nothing changed - no beeps still. I tried jumping the CMOS, no change. I have reseated most of the components and no change.

Can anyone tell me what the likely culprit is or how I can "easily" diagnose which component is failing? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 21st, 2010 13:00

Shteve

As the power button LED is solid Amber, try the following and start the system to see it makes a difference:

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.

Remove and then reinstall any cards.

Remove and then reinstall the graphics cards, if applicable.

No difference and if you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system  on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor has died.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 20th, 2010 21:00

Shteve

What is the reading of the power button LED, green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case.

Dell's XPS G3 Troubleshooter is HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

5 Posts

October 21st, 2010 07:00

I found a picture in the manual of where the lights are (or should be) so I will check on those again when I get home which likely won't be till very late tonight.

5 Posts

October 21st, 2010 07:00

Now, I am slightly colorblind, but the power button appeared to be a solid amber. Aside from that, I was unable to locate the diagnostic lights last night ( I believe I couldn't find them last time I looked when I had a very simple problem 5 years ago).

I assume they wouldn't really be hidden, but I could not find them on the exterior of the case. I doubt I had overlooked them as my room was pretty dark and any lights would have stood out pretty well. Should I be looking inside the case for these lights, or is it possible my model for some strange reason does not include them?

5 Posts

October 21st, 2010 13:00

Well, unless the diagnostic lights are extremely dim, they are not lighting up at all.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2010 14:00

First of all I would like to thank you for all your help on this issue. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get replies or how much they would help and you've been extremely helpful for both of those.

I finally got around to testing those other things last night and unfortunately there was no change. I haven't looked around and prices and availability for replacing my motherboard and/or processor, but I figure it wouldn't be worth buying new ones for an 6+ year old system. Thanks again for all your help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 28th, 2010 15:00

Shteve

Sorry to hear that and personally, like you,  I would place the money the repairs cost, towards buying a new system with Windows 7, as the XPS G3 has a lot of Dell proprietary parts, especially the power supply.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 28th, 2010 21:00

BearPa.

Answered in your other post HERE

Bev.

7 Posts

October 28th, 2010 21:00

Have similar problem and just posted a new thread on it: Power supply test - on button . . etc. (10-28-2010 9:01 PM)  Any thoughts appreciated!     - Bear

October 29th, 2010 02:00

Funny, I too have an XPS Gen 3 that had this almost identical problem appear about two weeks ago.

Mine is a bit strange however, as I am posting this reply from the computer with the problem.

Two weeks ago, I started the computer up, and got only a series of beeps, I believe 1-3-2, the code indicating a memory problem.  After a couple of tries, the computer started up correctly, and I immediately did a full external backup of everything just in case.  It was time to do that anyway, my system was due for its yearly reformat. :)

So, after the backup competed, I shut down the computer with the intention of cleaning out the dust that collects in the video card.  After this, the computer began refusing to start, giving me a full blast from the fans.  I reseated the ram modules and video card several times, and managed to get it to start once or twice before it finally stopped booting. 

I believe the light code on the back was B-D.

Now the kicker.. I went away for the past two weeks on business, and just returned tonight.. and now it works again (for the moment, no idea if it would start again).  It did start up with beeps at first, but after one or two tries, it booted fine, and I'm posting from it now.  Is there any way to diagnose more directly what might be wrong, or even fix it?  The errors seem to indicate a memory or maybe video card problem, but I imagine fixing this system up may be a lost cause since it's so old.  I don't plan on spending a bunch of money on it, but I'm going to miss WinXP if I need to get an entirely new desktop, so I'd like to keep it useable if I can.

This thing is over 6 years old now, so I kind of expect the hardware to be shot, but my hard drives seem to be fine, so I'll probably be migrating them directly to a new system when I get one.  In the meantime I'm surviving on my laptop, which is only a year old.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 29th, 2010 09:00

Chronocidal Guy

You could start with running Dell Diagnostics extended test on the XPS G3 and see if it finds any hardware issues.

Bev.

October 29th, 2010 11:00

I'd love to, unfortunately it seems to be dead again this morning.  No high-powered fan blasts, but it'll do one of two things when I try to start it:

1: No beep code, no light code on the back, but the power light remains amber the entire time

2: System will initially spin up quickly (as if it's going to start up), then stop for a moment (as if it's turned off), then come back on, this time with an amber power indicator, 1-3-2 beep code, and the B-D light code on the back.

I'm not worried about data loss, since I just backed up, and the hard drives still seem to be perfectly fine, but if it can be fixed by something like a new video card or ram, I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks to get it running, even with how old it is. 

Anything more complicated than that though, I'll probably just go for an entirely new system, probably an Alienware to help with all the graphics rendering work I do.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 29th, 2010 13:00

I'd love to, unfortunately it seems to be dead again this morning.  No high-powered fan blasts, but it'll do one of two things when I try to start it:

1: No beep code, no light code on the back, but the power light remains amber the entire time

2: System will initially spin up quickly (as if it's going to start up), then stop for a moment (as if it's turned off), then come back on, this time with an amber power indicator, 1-3-2 beep code, and the B-D light code on the back.

I'm not worried about data loss, since I just backed up, and the hard drives still seem to be perfectly fine, but if it can be fixed by something like a new video card or ram, I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks to get it running, even with how old it is. 

Anything more complicated than that though, I'll probably just go for an entirely new system, probably an Alienware to help with all the graphics rendering work I do.

Chronocidal Guy

Blinking amber, or solid amber?

Diagnostic lights YGYG indicate a possible graphic card issue, first try removing the card and reinstalling it and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2011 13:00

Mine is a XPS Gen 4. I went away on vacation for 10 days and shut my computer down, came home and now it won't start up. Turn it on, light says solid green and fan runs like crazy. Lights on back suggest video card, a & c are amber, b & d are green. So, from what I'm reading here going to remove and then put back in the video card. Right??

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 9th, 2011 15:00

daisyann

YGYG diagnostic lights usually indicates a video card issue, try removing  the card from the slot, then reinstall it and see if this makes a difference.

The XPS G4 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter, is HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

No Events found!