Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2011 16:00

Computer is on the blink

I need some big help!!  When it comes to computers, I am very illiterate.

When I go to start, and click on my printer or other things, it reads "The item you selected is unavailable.  It might be moved, renamed or removed.  Do you want to remove it from the list.".  It  just started doing this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 27th, 2011 16:00

Hi Joy2253,

Let's start by getting the model of your Dell and your operating system. Is it just your printer or are you unable to start anything in the Start menu?

25 Posts

January 28th, 2011 14:00

Thanks, for getting back with me.

I have a Dell Inspiron546 Minitower.  It is vista basic system..  My printer is a 946 AOI.  I also got the message that I have  incorrect port detected.  USB cables only and it is not set to USB support.  It has been working fine until yesterday. 

I appreciate all your help

Joy2253

25 Posts

January 28th, 2011 17:00

This is what I seen first.  I tried to open my printer in start, and it told me that  "The item you selected is unavailable.  It might be moved, renamed, or removed.  Do you want to remove it from the list?"

Then I tried to print something and it told me "Incorrect port detected.

It also told me USB cables only, the current is not set to USB port.

I went into devices and checked  the USB and it told me everything was working okay. 

I don't remember error message. Like I said am am dence, when it comes to computers. :)

Thanks again

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 28th, 2011 17:00

Joy,

When you get an error message, please write it down and post the exact message. I'm not really quite sure what you mean by "incorrect port detected.  USB cables only and it is not set to USB support" but I suspect that's not the exact error.

I'm afraid I'm not getting much of a picture yet as to what could be the problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2011 05:00

Is this the only problem? The printer? If so, then please post in the printers forum. You need to provide the model of your Dell, your operating system, and the model of your printer.

I assumed you were having other problems from your subject, "Computer is on the blink". To me that indicates a host of serious issues. But it appears your problem is just with the printer. If not, let me know.

No Events found!