Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2011 20:00

Computer will not power on

Hey all

I am in the process of upgrading my video card. To do this I also had to upgrade my power supply. Got the card and PSU today removed the old power supply and video card, plugged everything back in. The computer started up and I was going through the process of removing my old video drivers when the computer just shut itself off. I turned it back on and it ran for maybe 30 seconds and turned itself back off again.

Thinking that maybe I need to remove the old drivers before I installed the new video card I reinstalled the ond card but now the computer will not power on at all. Now I am thinking the PSU may be bad so I put the original PSU back in and I still cannot get the computer to turn on.

The LED on the back of the PSU lights up and I have one orange LED on the MOBO that lights up but when I push the power button I get nothing, no light on the power button either.

I have removed and reseated all the connections. I am wondering if the new PSU did something to my computer? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 18th, 2011 04:00

Sounds like it could be the old PS is bad.  Put it back like it was originally with the Dell power supply and original video card and see if everything works OK.  If it does, then connect the new power supply, but not the new video card, and see what happens.  If it won't power up or does the same thing, the new power supply is faulty.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2011 05:00

I put the original PSU back in along with the old video card and it still will not power on.

No Events found!