Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2015 12:00

Computer won't boot past Dell logo

So late last night I tried to boot up my computer. At first it worked, and I got to the welcome screen, but it wouldn't let me type my password in to access my account. (I was typing, but only one or two keys went through.) I tried restarting my computer, and now it won't boot up. All that comes up is the Dell logo, with a loading bar underneath that never makes any progress. (I left it on throughout the night and woke up to the same thing.) I've tried force restarting it several times, but it keeps getting stuck on the same screen. In the top right corner, it says to press F12 for Boot Options, but pressing it does nothing. I've also tried booting it in safe mode, but that doesn't work either. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop with Windows 10. I wanna say this is an issue with Windows, but at this point I'm not entirely sure.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 26th, 2015 03:00

Power it off holding down the power button for 30 seconds you should hear the fans power off. Then unplug it at the wall. Attempt to plug it in and power up again.

Do you get the Dell UEFI BIOS, can you press F12?

2 Posts

September 27th, 2015 08:00

Sorry for late reply.

With my keyboard plugged in, it won't boot up past the splash screen, nor will it let me access the boot options via F12 or start in safe mode through F8. I discovered that if I unplug my keyboard, it boots up to the windows log in--but once I plug my keyboard back in, it still won't let me type my password.

My roommates say it might be my motherboard, could that be it?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 27th, 2015 12:00

If taking the USB keyboard out completes the boot it seems its not a problem with the mainboard. Can you try another keyboard?

No Events found!