Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2009 09:00

Computer won't go to sleep when scheduled

I'm using Vista Home edition and have scheduled my computer to sleep after 30 min. of non use. However, the computer fails to sleep at that time. I've restarted my computer after resetting, and it still fails to sleep on time.

What can I do to address this?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 29th, 2009 09:00

Does the sleep function work at all?  Usually, it's some device or program running that will cause it not to go into the sleep mode.  Sometimes wireless devices such as keyboards and mice can cause that.  Or an attached printer/scanner that is powered on.  Could be a program.  You will have to start eliminating potential conflicts that could cause the problem. 

2 Posts

March 29th, 2009 10:00

Yes the sleep function will work when I choose it after clicking the start button. How do I go about eliminating potential conflicts that could cause the problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 29th, 2009 15:00

You will have to look at what programs are running or what programs are in the Sys Tray (lower right) whe you use the sleep function.  It may take a little while before you run across what program or device is causing it.  When you set it for the automatic sleep, close one of the usual programs (at a time) you have open and see if that is causing it.  Same way with some of the programs in the sys tray (there are some programs that are required so you need to be careful there, but any media player for example does not need to be in the sys tray.    I don't know what programs or hardware devices you have on your PC so I can't say.

No Events found!