Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2009 11:00

Computer won't turn on!

I have an Optiplex GX280 runnign Windows XP Pro, and after taking it in my car to my new apartment, it won't turn on. When I push the power button, a buzzer sounds about 5 times and the fan speeds up to full power. That's it, the screen doesn't receive signal, the mouse and keyboard don't receive power either. All the lights across the front stay on (A B C D etc.) but nothing else happens. I've taken the cover off and there's an amber light labelled "AUX" on the motherboard that stays on all the time.

If anyone has any suggestions about what could be wrong I'd appreciate the help. Also, i've been getting occasional error messages saying system battery voltage low, but not in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Gareth

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 16th, 2009 11:00

And you're sure you reconnected everything correctly? :emotion-5:   Check all the cables to the peripherials.

If that doesn't help, it's possible something got jarred  loose during transport.  Power off and disconnect from the wall.  Open the case and carefully reseat all the cables, PCI cards, etc.  And check to make sure the heat sink on the CPU is in place and the retaining clips, if any,  are properly latched.

Ron

2 Posts

March 17th, 2009 08:00

yea i've opened the case and tightened up all the connections. Nothin seems to have moved. Heatsinks are all in place. the only peripherals plugged in are the monitor, mouse and keyboard (USB) and then the power cable. it still just buzzes a few times and then nothing, but i can hear the hard drives spinning.

cheers

3.7K Posts

March 17th, 2009 08:00

Hi gareth93, HERE is you manual with the Diagnostic lights. Can you see any of these lights on your case, also you talk about an buzzing sound. Is there an rythem to the buzzes, Ie 1-2-3 etc, you can find more in your manual under beep codes.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 17th, 2009 12:00

Power off and disconnect PC from the wall. Press/hold the power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Press/hold the power button again for ~30 sec. Replace the battery right-side-up and see if it boots now. And if the battery is more than ~2-3 years old, use a fresh one. Ron
No Events found!