Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2015 17:00

Confirm max RAM for XPS 8300

Hello all,

Below or attached, you will find a screenshot of my current specs on my XPS 8300. Therefore, I would like to know:

1). how much more memory I can add before having to change either the motherboard, operating system, etc.

2). if more memory is added, is there anything I need to change in order for the PC to recognize that my XPS has more memory?

3). probably the same as #2 but, once more memory is added, how can I ensure that all the memory is being used?

Thank you all for your feedback.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 8th, 2015 15:00

Max supported RAM (eg, tested by Dell) is 16 GB.

What you can add depends on how many slots are currently used. If all 4 slots are filled with 2 GB modules (total 8 GB), you will have to remove at least one pair (same color retention clips) before you can add more.

If only 2 slots are used now (eg, 2x4GB) you can add a pair of 4 GB modules to the other 2 slots for a total of 16 GB..

BIOS should recognize the new RAM automatically, assuming it's compatible. Many people buy RAM for Dell PCs at crucial because they guarantee it works or they take it back.

You can compare how much RAM BIOS detects in BIOS setup with how much is shown by Windows on the same screen you posted above.

1.2K Posts

November 8th, 2015 18:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19448826

32GB with the proper OS.

Win764 home will only allow 16GB.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2015 13:00

Thank you for your reply. Do they happen to make a 4 GB memory stick for me to remove one of the 2 GB memory stick?

1.2K Posts

November 10th, 2015 14:00

Yes they make 4GB sticks of memory, however these systems do best when memory is in matched pairs.

Crucial guarantees the memory will work if you use their configurations, however you can find memory that will work for a few dollars less.

www.crucial.com/.../xps-8300

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Yes they make 4GB sticks of memory, however these systems do best when memory is in matched pairs.

Crucial guarantees the memory will work if you use their configurations, however you can find memory that will work for a few dollars less.

www.crucial.com/.../xps-8300 

I typed faster than you. :emotion-4:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

RAM should be installed as matched pairs, so you need to remove at least 2 of them.

Check the Crucial link in my previous post for some compatible 4-GB modules.

1.2K Posts

November 10th, 2015 16:00

I typed faster than you. :emotion-4:

That must be a result of Panda's having five fingers AND a thumb :emotion-5:

No Events found!