Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2014 09:00

Connect HP Computer to my Inspiron 23 via dvi to hdmi

Hi, I was told to possible to connect via div to hdmi cable, but it is not working. I don't know how to specify in Windows 8 to accept the HDMI input.  

I'm trying to use both computers, using the Inspiron as the monitor

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 25th, 2014 11:00

Exactly which Inspiron 23 AIO do you have?

Some of them have an optional Input-source selection / Display-off button on the side of the display. It's #7 in this setup guide for the Inspiron 2330 AIO, but it's optional on the 2330, and you have to check the setup guide for your exact model to see if it was even offered as an option and where it's located.

If you have it, you have to cycle that button until it accepts video input signal from the HDMI-input (or VGA-input) port.

Whether it will actually work with the other PC as the input source is a different question...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 25th, 2014 10:00

Inspiron 23 cannot be used as a monitor.Connecting the hp computer to a inspiron laptop or desktop computer is not possible. You can connect dvi to hdmi using a special cable but you must connect the hdmi to a tv or a monitor with hdmi input.

edit- The input hdmi port on the Inspiron 23 is to connect an Xbox or other similar peripheral, not another computer.

November 25th, 2014 18:00

Hey, it worked! The button on the side above the power on did the trick. I couldn't switch back and forth between computers without powering down the HP, but that 's not a big deal.

I have a lot of music on the HP and when I moved files and playlists to the Dell, many of playlists had errors, not being able to locate the files.  Now interesting enough, the HP has similar errors, so I'm still stymied

Gee the webs we weave.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Tim

November 25th, 2014 18:00

Hi, I have a 5348.  I'll look at the set up guide. The previous answer said it can not be done. Thanks for trying.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 26th, 2014 11:00

Glad that worked.

You only asked about getting video input from the other PC into the Dell, not about making playlists work. Have to charge you extra for this question. :emotion-4:

Your playlists are probably set up to look for the files in specific folders on the other PC. Now that they're on the Dell, the folder paths probably are incorrect. And If you moved (deleted) all the files from the other PC, playlists on that PC can't find the files on the Dell.

If you want them to work on the Dell, you should create a series of folders and directories that match the path used on the other PC. Or you'll just have to recreate your playlists on the Dell to point to the correct locations of your files.

The problem is you just have too many toys! :emotion-2:

No Events found!