Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2015 05:00

Connecting Dimension 9200 PC to my new Inspiron 2350 monitor

Hi

New to forum but not Dell. I am a small business using Dell PC's for many years and very satisfied. Just purchased the all in one Inspiron 2350 which I like. Having used XP for years not to sure yet about 8.1. My accounting and web design software are not compatible with 8.1 so am currently running my old Dell Dimension 9200 independently along side the new 2350 until I have the time and courage to update everything which from experience will not be hassle free. My question is can I connect the 9200 to my 2350 monitor in order to get rid of the old monitor, short of space, and switch between the two using the button on the 2350. I have tried using a virtual XP on the 2350 but no joy, it appeared to load ok but can't get it to do anything. Any advice would be much appreciated, I am an OAP but that's not a negative, I only know what I have self learnt about computers and seem to get through.

Thanking you in anticipation, Dennis 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 25th, 2015 11:00

The 2350 has one HDMI-in port which should accept signal from the D9200 if that system has an HDMI-out on the video card. Otherwise, you'd need an adaptor to change whatever output the 9200 has into an HDMI signal.

Note: the 2350 has both HDMI-in and HDMI-out so be sure to connect the cable from the 9200 to the correct port.  It's #16 in the drawing here. Once the 9200 is connected to the HDMI-in port, and both powered on, you'll have to toggle the Input-source selection button, #6 in that drawing, to select the HDMI-in as the video source.

BTW: Have you tried installing and running that software in Win XP compatibility mode in Win 8.1?

And if you install the free Classic Shell, you can make Win 8.1 look/act more like XP or Win 7.  I won't use Win 8.1 without Classic Shell. :emotion-4:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 25th, 2015 15:00

If you have an old retail Windows XP license see here for instructions on virtualisation with VMware Player:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/installation-of-windows-and-linux-on-a-virtual-machine-using-vmware-player/

7 Posts

February 26th, 2015 13:00

Hi Ron

Thank you for your help, I will pursue your suggestions when I get a moment.

Dennis

7 Posts

February 26th, 2015 13:00

Hi Philip

Thank you for your help, I have the original XP Dell reinstallation disc for the Dell 9200 can I use that with VMware. As I said I did follow instructions to get virtual XP with VM Ware which seemed to download ok and is on my computer but I can't get it to do anything. Have asked VMware but had no response as yet. I will look into that link.

Regards Dennis

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 26th, 2015 15:00

You cannot use a Dell XP Reinstallation CD with VMware... The Dell license is OEM and can only be installed on a Dell system eligible to run Windows XP.

While you are running it on a Dell system, the VMware virtual BIOS is seen as generic and the Dell XP Reinstallation CD will not activate. It will therefore lock you out after 30 days.

You need a Retail XP License which cannot be purchased anymore except from the likes of eBay.

The hardest part of Virtualisation is obtaining the Windows license.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 27th, 2015 01:00

The license from the Dimension 9200 is OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. The OEM version is discounted and support for it came from the OEM Dell. As such the limitation of the OEM license is that it is forever tied to the original Dell hardware so you cannot use it without the Dell Dimension 9200.

7 Posts

February 27th, 2015 01:00

Hi Philip

Sorry to sound a bit thick, I am still running my old 9200 with XP alongside my new 2350 until I get sorted  so will I have a license for that somewhere that I can use, not sure what form the license would be in. I still have original purchase paperwork somewhere. I really appreciate your help.

Regards Dennis

7 Posts

February 27th, 2015 03:00

Hi Philip

Sorry to keep taking up your time. Looked on e bay as per link   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-XP-Professional-SP2-with-Genuine-COA-license-Sealed-/301207338775?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46215b3f17  Would this do the job without to many problems and would I load it using VMware. If it wasn't for my accounting and web design software not being compatible 8.1 I would not be having this problem. I can get round the web design with a lot of work but I need my accounts for many reasons.

Thanks again Dennis

P.S. If you ever need any advice on woodworking just ask lol.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 27th, 2015 11:00

Don't know why you're messing about with XP and VMware....

Did you try to install and run your software in XP-compatibility mode in Win 8.1? That would be a whole lot easier. I'm running some software that was written for Win 95 using XP-compatibility mode in Win 8.1.

Or perhaps you can find an updated version of your software that works with Win 8.1 and allows you to import your existing files.

7 Posts

February 27th, 2015 14:00

Hi Ron

How do I find XP compatibility mode in 8.1, one of the problems I have with 8.1 is finding anything. Of course its sods law that my business this month has been best month for a long time and all this has slowed me down a lot. My accounting software won't work passed XP its an old version of MYOB but is a really good system and of course holds all my business data. Later MYOB having been sold out is no where near as good and very expensive. I can load my web software on 8.1 but it has basically messed up almost every page and apparently before I can up load updates in 8.1 I have to upload the whole web site first which I cannot do as it is. Also having password problems etc. etc. etc. Bad news really I feel 8.1 is a backward step in reality and hope 10 is better. I was told that VMware would solve my problems but not so sure now. If I could link my old computer to my new monitor I would use it just for accounts and web until I get the web part sorted but it does not have a HDMI out put and do not know how to configure that one. I appreciate your help and if you could lead me to XP compatibility mode would be grateful. As I said to Philip if you ever need any advice on woodworking just ask lol.

Thanks Dennis

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 27th, 2015 15:00

Start by making your  life easier. Install free Classic Shell to make 8.1 behave more like XP or 7. That should make all your subsequent efforts much easier because you know how things work in XP.

I presume the installation disk for the MYOB is an optical disk. So put the disk into the DVD drive. If it tries to auto-run, cancel it. Then use Windows Explorer (via Classic Shell) to browse the optical drive. Look for something like setup.exe or installer.exe or autorun,exe for the installer.

Right-click that .exe and select Properties. Click Compatibility tab and set it to XP. Save the change and then double-click the .exe file on the optical disk. It hopefully will install correctly.

Assuming MYOB creates an icon on the "classic" desktop or on the "classic" Start menu, right-click it and do the same to set compatibility mode. Then see if it launches when you double-click the desktop icon or select it from the Start menu. If all goes well, copy your MYOB data files onto USB, SD card, CD and transfer to the 8700. Make sure you put them into the correct folder on the XPS.

7 Posts

March 4th, 2015 09:00

Hi Ron

Installed Classic Shell, great like it. I could then open the MYOB disc to show files but the only one that had a compatibility option in properties was the short cut which worked. Could not do anything with the rest. Purely by chance got hold of an XP disc with key at the weekend and loaded that using VMware and it went smoothly and works and I managed to activate it without problem on Windows auto activate even though had been previously used. It was an OEM disc. So for the moment I have a virtual MYOB on Windows 8.1. Have now decided at end of tax year will change accounting system to a more modern one that handles the latest vat rules etc. for sales in and outside of EU automatically as existing doesn't. Am exporting more and more all over the world now so time to move up a cog. 

I really appreciate the help you have given me. I think my business is growing because I go the extra mile for my customers and get lots of good feedback on woodworking forums around the world and it's the only way I can compete with the big discount boys.

Kind Regards Dennis

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2015 11:00

Glad you got things sorted...

Will you be able to find new software that can import the MYOB files? Otherwise, you'd better hang onto them and keep MYOB available in VMware.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2015 11:00

BTW:

Did you try double-clicking that shortcut after changing it's compatibility setting?

That might be enough to make it install correctly. And then just make the same change to the shortcut for the app that's created when it's installed on the new PC.

No Events found!