Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 21st, 2016 08:00

Connecting desktop to wifi?

Hi. I have an Inspiron 5348 and was wondering if I could connect it to wifi instead of using an ethernet cable as I was thinking of moving some furniture around.

When I go into network settings I see a Dell Wireless 1707 option. I enabled that but can't connect. Just keeps saying "identifying" but doesn't do anyhting. I unplugged my ethernet cable at that time before enabling the Dell wifi. My router is a Netgear router if that matters to how it connects.

So I'm not sure if it can be done and if so does it connect with my netgear router or do I need other pieces of hardware?

Thanks

Jay

• 

16.7K Posts

November 21st, 2016 09:00

Jv105,

The wireless network card was an option at point of sale. You can click the link below to download the drivers for the card to see if there is one installed and needs the drivers.

Inspiron 5348 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals.

Dell Networking and Wireless Support Center.

13 Posts

November 21st, 2016 09:00

Hi Jesse,

Don't see an active link to click on.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 21st, 2016 10:00

You may also have to disable the onboard Ethernet card in BIOS setup (reboot and press F2) so it won't conflict with the WiFi card...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 21st, 2016 11:00

It is not necessary to disable the ethernet since it should always be available to use. Just remove the cable. Only a wireless connection that is unused needs to be disabled in Network Connections--not the bios. This is handy if the computer came with an old G wireless builtin and a new usb N adapter is added. The 1707 is N capable. The drivers for that should already be installed. Open the Network and Sharing Center to set up the wireless.

No Events found!