Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 8th, 2008 16:00

Constant Boot Issues and Freezes

I've been having some issues with the booting of my XPS 420. I got it a few weeks ago, and it was fine orginally. It'd had two problems in the last two days. It is standard except for the 2x500GB NON-Raid.

Firstly, it keeps freezing. The "Busy" cursor appears with the spinning circle, and the mouse continues to move and it continues to spin, but everything else locks up. You can't switch applications or turn off the PC. I have waited a long time, and eventually had to give up.

After these crashes happen, I tend to have problems booting up. It fails at different places. Sometimes, I get the green loading bar for Vista, and then it freezes before logins screen appears. Sometimes, I log in and it freezes like it does in the first point. A lot of the time, it doesn't get past Intel Storage Matrix -  it just sits there with a flashing dash seemingly forever.

What can I do?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 9th, 2008 04:00

TimRogersCool,

What color are the Diagnostic Lights when it freezes?

5 Posts

February 9th, 2008 16:00

I just got a XPS 420 2 weeks ago, was very glad with my machine, but it was quickly replaced with frustration and anger.

I find it unacceptable a brand new "high-end" machine like this allready have many freezes and boot problems like i have had.

Either it's just crashing randomly, in a game or just on the desktop. Or like today i had crazy freeze problems, i could use the computer for a few minutes then it sorta froze, i could move the mouse and it the cursor was that animated circle. But i couldt click anything or use alt+ctrl+del. I rebooted many times but no help, and finally it wouldt boot Vista at all and i got this stupid RAID (allready had this 3 times) error and it wont even load up Vista anymore. Somehow after countless of reboots the windows finally boot up some kind of "Windows Repair" program, and suggest a system restore and that seems to do the trick...but for how long?

I have ran the Dell Diagnostic program but it could not find any errors.

My old PC, i could't remember when i last had a crash on that. And that was even a custom-built PC.

February 11th, 2008 06:00

This evidently needs to be investigated. The problem you are having is identical to mine, and there is no explanation from Dell so far. My old far lower spec PC would seldom crash, but this crashes frequently. Any answers Dell? It hasn't hapenned since my post so I have been unable to check to diagnostic lights - I did run Dell Diagnostics and nothing was picked up. I think it may be due to the severely underpowered PSU.

5 Posts

February 11th, 2008 13:00

Tim, if you get any new information would you mind contacting me via my email? it's clancaf (at) gmail.com or just reply to this thread.

For now my XPS is running fine, but im pretty much just waiting for it to crash again, if it does i will contact Dell.

February 14th, 2008 20:00

It had been fine for a fair few days, but today it went into a spate of crashes.

This morning something hapenned that hadn't hapenned before. I left my PC while I was out and I returned to a BSOD. When I booted, Windows checked for a solution and nothing was found.

Tonight was the real trouble. About half an hour ago, I had a freeze where your application freezes, followed by the rest. You can still move mouse, and open start menu, although the crashes soon after. Task Manager and the Windows screen won't open, and eventually the computer bleeps and totally locks up.

I rebooted it, and thankfully managed to get in. Next, it froze similarly to last time, so I had to turn it off.

Rebooted it, this time it took forever to get past Intel Storage Matrix. Eventually it did and I selected to Start Windows Normally, but it never reached the Windows loading screen, stayed black, so I rebooted.

This time it waited at the Intel Matrix screen for 5 minutes, but eventually booted (seemingly) perfectly. What on earth is the problem Dell?

5 Posts

February 16th, 2008 15:00

I pretty much just had the exact same problem a few moments ago.

Getting extremly annoying.

Don't know what to do

February 21st, 2008 18:00

Things are good atm. It had been crashing a couple of times a day, but I installed the Intel Chipset Driver update from Dell's website. It seems to have sorted it for now, but I'm not holding my breath - I doubt it will last. I'll keep you guys up to date!
No Events found!