Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2011 13:00

Continuous Error Message: Dell Support Center Has Stopped Working

I have Windows V8ista on an Inspiron530s. Through out any operation I continue to get the following massage:

"Dell Support Center Has Stopped Working                                                                                                                                                  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  For several weeks I have tried to find the reason for getting the error message. It will appear in a little box several times an hour during any operation. (internet or document) I can find no answers in any forum. I have an HP all-in one printer that I uninstalled & reinstalled the software for at the suggestion of another, but that did not solve the problem.

AT THE SAME TIME: I have Trend Micro Internet Security,(aka PC-Cillion) and though the firewall & defenses are up, I can not get it to scan the computer for virusus. I have talked with Trend Mico Tech Support 4 times on the phone and various adjustments have been made, but thhas been no fix. They seem to think the problem is connected to this error message.  I am at wits end. Can someone help??  :?/

14.4K Posts

February 27th, 2011 17:00

Best advice would be to uninstall the DSS. As you are finding it causes more issues then it helps.  Go to Control panel Program and features and find the listing for Dell support Center and uninstall it. 

2 Posts

March 1st, 2011 18:00

Thank you! As Goofy as it sounds, I did not realize that this was actually the name of a program!  It fixed the messages by removing it! The PC-Cillion still does not function properly, but I'll take that up with them...again.

Blessings to you!

Trish

9 Posts

June 6th, 2011 18:00

Hello! I also have this same issue. I did uninstall the Dell Support Center and I don't see it on my list of programs any longer. The message still comes up constantly. So I decided to reinstall the Support Center. I download the file and when I launch the .exe file, it asks if I want to check for an update. I say OK, and it says the software is up to date. What the heck has happened? This is VERY annoying. Thanks in advance for any help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 6th, 2011 20:00

What happens if you don't say OK when it asks if you want to check for an update?

Ron

9 Posts

June 6th, 2011 22:00

Hi Ron. No other option at all. :(

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 7th, 2011 11:00

Hmmm...

You didn't say what version of Windows this is, but open msconfig and click STARTUP tab. Look for and uncheck all entries for Dell Support Center. Exit msconfig and reboot.

Put a check in "don't show this again" box if it appears when you reboot.

Ron

9 Posts

June 7th, 2011 19:00

Thanks Ron. Tried that, and message keeps appearing every 5 to 10 minutes. So annoying!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 8th, 2011 10:00

Look in your Statup folder (Start>Programs>Startup) and see if anything related is there. If it is, drag it onto the desktop and then into the recycle bin

Not sure what else to tell you...

Maybe somebody else will have a solution.

Ron

9 Posts

June 8th, 2011 14:00

THANK YOU!!!

Ivy

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

I flagged this thread for the moderators and other  forum experts. Maybe one of them knows how to kill that error message.

Ron

9 Posts

Not there. You've been awesome, Ron. Thanks for all your help.

Ivy

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 9th, 2011 12:00

Ivy,

You never did tell us what version of Windows you're using. If it's XP, look in Windows Scheduled Tasks. If Dell Support Center is listed there, delete it.

Are you really sure you removed Support Center in Add/Remove Programs control panel?

According to Alexandra, one of the forum VIPs:

"The newest DSC 3.0 makes things complicated becomes it comes in 2 parts.  There's a 1+MB program called aulauncher.exe that apparently checks for compatibility, plus any current/old versions to be overwritten or uninstalled.  Only if the PC passes the aulauncher "test" do you get the full 40+MB DSC install program.  That's possibly the reason for "you already have the latest version".   Aulauncher also adds a "run once" key to the registry.    If the aulauncher doesn't get it right, you're stuck in a loop."    

And see if there's anything helpful here, though the links in Dell-Telson's post might be out of date.

Ron

9 Posts

June 9th, 2011 20:00

My apologies Ron! I use Windows 7.

I did remove the Support Center in Control Panel, Programs and Features. It definitely was removed.

I followed the link you provided and went through the instructions. I did end up reinstalling the Support Center, as I really don't care if I have it or not, I just want the error message to stop. The error messages continue after reboot. Also, when I just went into Control Panel to delete the Support Center that I just installed, it is not listed, even though the install said it went smoothly. Yikes.

Thanks for not giving up on me.

Ivy  :)

June 10th, 2011 09:00

Hi there, I found this forum searching for a solution to the same problem...

The info here is EXTREMELY helpful and I'm in the process of uninstalling this and a few other things... But -

I noticed that when I went to Uninstall Dell Support Centre, the publisher was NOT Dell Inc, like other Dell applications, it only said Dell. When I went to uninstall, I got a message saying that an unverified publisher needed access to the computer to uninstall it...

Also - before I go and uninstall, there is one other program I noticed is not Dell Inc, only Dell - It is called "Broswer Address Error Director." It seems weird - advice?

Is it possible these may not even be Dell programs? It seems unlikely that we'd be having these messages pop up so often. I woke up this morning to 58 of them, with no browser open or anything.

Thank you!

Stephanie

June 10th, 2011 10:00

ps - I uninstalled and am still getting the error message about every 8-9 mins if my browser is open

No Events found!