Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2015 10:00

DELL 320 computer

Wife's computer, of another company, 'died' last night. 

We have a Dell 320 that our son handed over to us some years ago, and somehow when I opened it, I wound up with the factory parts being exposed .... and I can't get it back to us it. 

It is blue and white; and with it's MANY things to adjust.   I ... being a 75 year old fellow ... cannot figure out how to reactivate the factory parts so that wife can use it. 

Son is not available; so I am on my own.
If there is an easy way of reactivating the computer, PLEASE advise.

THANKS

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 15th, 2015 12:00

I am assuming this is an OptiPlex 320; what exactly did you do to it?

18 Posts

August 15th, 2015 14:00

Son bought it from a fellow who had it advertised, and went to his home to verify it.  While there for that, he ... and I .... saw it with a good computer evidence.  So he was paid and son brought it to our home and with it, I simply stored it for a later day; this was about 2 years ago.  Then, with wife's computer dying recently, hooked it up....... and nothing but nothing but nothing; except for the set-up items that get highlighted into the factory setup files; nothing on the opening view.

I have tried ... all day ... to get it to rewinded .... and nothing.  I tried reseting several of the Dell stuff that was there ... and no matter what I tried, none did any good.  I even thought of trying to reboot, using my W7 computer disk ... and it was not even shown in a file.

I am now, unless someone else knows otherwise, ready to dump into trash; it just ain't usable unless whole parts are bought from Dell.

BUMMER!  Was impressed when we saw it lilghted up at the fellow's house.  Guess he took advantage of us....

Chuck

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 15th, 2015 19:00

If it needs parts, you can get them for cheap on eBay. I upgraded mine to 2gb of RAM for $20, and installed a 120gb Kingston SSD.

Are you saying this boots up into the BIOS setup? Is there a hard drive installed? You need to activate each storage device port separately in the BIOS for the device to be recognized.

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 08:00

Well, when the owner had it connected for us to see, it was well working.  He did not, and son and I did not either, take it apart any.

Now, years later, I tried it the other day, and  got nothing.  It does nothing other than advising to use  F1 or F2  to open.  Well, F1 does nothing but tells to use F2 .... which I do, and see all (what I call) the factory 'gut' comments. 

I spent several hour yesterday trying to get the whole group reactive ......... with no luck at all.  I tried any thing that I felt would re-boot it to factory installs..... with no luck.  Many years ago, when I was a bit younger, I recall that I ... several ... knew how-and did ... a few reboots of the factory setup settings.

So, not being an expert, it appears that 'trash' is the only answer.  It is a shame, because the outer parts (computer and picture items) are all nice looking.

BUMMER! ! !

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 16th, 2015 08:00

F1 or F2 to open it ??????

I don't understand what you are trying to "open".

F8 is the key to press to try to perform a restore to factory settings.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 16th, 2015 09:00

Well, F1 does nothing but tells to use F2 .... which I do, and see all (what I call) the factory 'gut' comments. 

'Gut' comments is the BIOS setup screen.

It may be that the original owner 'wiped' the hard drive, and now you will have to reinstall the operating system. With the install DVD in the optical drive, press F12 at boot time to bring up the boot menu, and then select it. The Windows installer should boot, and you can follow the prompts to complete the installation.

I spent several hour yesterday trying to get the whole group reactive ......... with no luck at all.

On an August Saturday, that's not surprising.

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 13:00

There is nothing I can go.  WHY???   Because the F12 is the ONLY thing that is there; with it's 'guts' of course.  As mentioned early, when first on, F1-F12 is offered, and when clicked on, it says that only F12 is usable.  Open it and tried all that I thought might help .... and nothing changed.  The only thing that I do is ... press the electricity off....

BUMMER!!!

I appreciate all the suggestions, but nothing is there that I can use to activate it. 

I'm not sure, but suspect the seller had it connected to another version he also had on the table .... and we (son & I) missed seeing that.......STUPID ... I know....

THANKS

Chuck

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 14:00

OK to all..... 75 year old here ... finally got off my rear end and took the side metal off.  BUMMER ! ! ! !

Am not an expert, but the interior 'thing' that is connected to a long wire part, is not there.  Think the former owner kept the 'gut' part for his own Dell ... I presume.

I don't know how to look up a replacement on EBAY ... but the version is the Windows XP  OPTITLEX 320  .  If I get it to work, I only use Windows 7.

Any idea what it is called .... and other 'stuff' that may be needed also.  I have a picture, but from it on EBAY, has no item I am mentioning here.... so am wondering if it's 'life' part is in the bottom of the interior 'floor'.

Actually, other than the 'thing' not connected, the interior is real nice and clean looking; also the metal 'box' part.

Thanks

Chuck

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 14:00

Here is the picture at EBAY.....

www.ebay.com/.../291442880422

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 16th, 2015 15:00

Here is the picture at EBAY.....

www.ebay.com/.../291442880422

I am very confused.

If you son actually met the person and saw the PC in action, paid for the PC, and walked out of that person's home with the PC, how exactly did the previous owner have time to remove a hard drive ????

He must be some kind of magician!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 16th, 2015 15:00

Am not an expert, but the interior 'thing' that is connected to a long wire part, is not there.  Think the former owner kept the 'gut' part for his own Dell ... I presume.

I think that was the hard drive. You can source a new one anywhere, but an SSD will much, much faster. The following are the two parts I swapped into my own 320, so they are known to be compatible:

Kingston 240gb SSD

Silverstone 2.5-to-3.5-inch adapter.

Or, you may be able to swap in the hard drive from your wife's failed Brand X machine.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 16th, 2015 16:00

Your eBay PC appears to need a new storage device. It is simple enough to add one, and that one could even be swapped out of your wife's PC.

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 16:00

Sorry about that.  Saw the name on EBAY, with 320, and thought it'd be the same. 

So I just copy and printed the one I have ... and it is 'roughly' similar ...but definitely a 320.

I'd like to post my picture, but have not seem HOW TO on the site where every comments are.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 16th, 2015 17:00

Your eBay PC appears to need a new storage device. It is simple enough to add one, and that one could even be swapped out of your wife's PC.

Where are you seeing that it needs a new storage device? The description says that the hard drive is 80GB and that it has been wiped.

Also are you reading the OP's posts?  He didn't buy his PC on eBay.  I completely confused by what he is writing.

18 Posts

August 16th, 2015 18:00

ieee488    I am sorry that my postings are screwed up.  Hoping without too much, let me add this .... and hope it helps, even though I do not enjoy putting it here.

As mentioned earlier, age is going 75; wife is at 74.  Wife had a unit that is no longer usible; thus the attempt I am making to help her out.  We have both been on computers years and years and years ago when computers first began; can't recall date, but in the 70s or 80s; one or the other.  Now, the part I do not want to say, but will so that ypu know more of me; 75 is getting shorter soon; with stroke; cancer in throat and top of head; scheduled for major hospital coming next week; and will pray as it begins, hoping I will be able to not say or do unletted requests for wife' computer.

OK; enough said.....but this.  The fellow we bought this DELL from, is no longer with us,  I do not know, for certain, that he did it for $$; or if it was screwed up when I began trying to get it working.  Son.... military ... hoply to be with us. 

Am not trying to take advantage of members.  Just looking for message that may help me get things working for wife.  If not worth , then need to find another thing for her; before it is too late.

So, going on, I was able to take a picture of the DELL 320 'thing' I have .... and not able to see how to post it to the DELL DESKTOP.  It looks much like the EBAY one I posted yesterday ... but apparently not working; nor me knowing if I should dump ... or keep trying.

Again, I am sorry, and if no help is for me ... and DELL unit ... I will dump, and hit EBAY or Craigslist in Texas.  Please excuse me........Chuck......Austin, Texas....Military Navy......California retired Highway.....54 years of marriage.....and sorry to have problems these days.

Chuck

PS:  ieee488 ... would you like me to email you a picture of the unit so you can see it better????  If yes, hope there is a personal place where email address if possible.

No Events found!