Dawoodbhai
2 Bronze

Re: DELL 9200 Dead - Steady flashing lights - 2 years old

and forgot to tell also need to reseat the 20/24pin power connector and the 4pin processor power connector and if any parts needs to be purchased fron DELl then would suggest to contact the technical support and get the correect part number and then ask them to transfer to the sales so that you can get the correct part .

Regards

Dawood.

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

reseat the 20/24pin power connector and the 4pin processor power connector .

Done.

Disconnect the ide cable from the optical drive and let the power cable be connected, when you get the flashing amber led on the power button on the tower press the eject button on the optical drive and if it eject the power supply is working fine

Done. It does not eject. I did not expect it to as the power supply is likely dead.

and if it does not then its not, to check the motherboard, remove all the memory from the system and turn on the system and if you hear beeps then issue shouldn't be with the motherboard

Done. No beeps. Again I did not expect it to beep as the power supply is likely dead. So this is not a conclusive confirm the motherboard is good or bad. I did not see any bulging or leaking capacitors with my untrained eye - again non-conclusive.

I think I need bite the bullet and remove/replace the power supply first. If that works , great and problem solved.

If not , then, I need to think hard about the merits of replacing the motherboard ( vs a new machine). And at then point I need to also think about whter the premium for buying Dell is still worth it given the premature failures.

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

Well, I sure am comitted now. I removed the old power supply and chucked it.

Removal was not as bad as I thought it might be. After recording where everything currenty is for reference, I diconnected all connectors and took great care to stay clear of everything else - no easy task - especially for the wiring the runs from the top down the full height unit to the bottom front the hard drives. I ended up deciding to just cutting of  the connectors and a few plasitc ties, so that the wires were loose , would not catch on anything and would esily slide right out as i pulled them through.  I easily move the other cables that were simply clipped to the bottom of the power supply, then removed 4 screws and pushed in one side pressure clip, and the psu came right out and into the garbage.

Hopefully the install of the new ULTRA (http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=637 ) will be as smooth , and once done it will work without any smells of smoke!

One pre-purchase question... need I be concered about the wattage the new power  supply being too much for the motherboard to handle??? Read another post about the motherboard never being tested for psu's > 375W. I assume that, no , not a concern, especially as it will be very lightly loaded ( ie OEM video card, two hard drives, one DVD drive)

0 Kudos
shesagordie
9 Rhodium

One pre-purchase question... need I be concered about the wattage the new power  supply being too much for the motherboard to handle??? Read another post about the motherboard never being tested for psu's > 375W. I assume that, no , not a concern, especially as it will be very lightly loaded ( ie OEM video card, two hard drives, one DVD drive)

Sheldon G

No, the system will only take the wattage it requires from the power supply.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

In the DELL, the power supply is mounted flush at the top of the case (and the fan is pointing toward the front - opposite side of the AC plug), But on the ULTRA's below, the fan is on the TOP, so I cannot mount it the same way ( ie flush to the top covering all air flow).

Is this power supply supposed to be mounted with the fan DOWN toward the motherboard...and does in bring cool air in from the back and blow over the motherboard...or does it take warm air out of the case and out the back? 

[UPDATE} ULTRA tech support confirmed itt takes warm air out of the case and out the back.

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

Okay, new power supply installed and I am back in business. So it was the power supply after all.

A thank you again to those who were good enough to guide me through this.

The ULTRA model (Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply) is a beautfiul unit - really appears to be a high quality item re design, packaging,  setup, appearance and (lifetime) warranty. Straightforward install.

The only complaint was a missing set of cables Recall, this unit is modular so the 'wires' are packaged seperately and used as needed. The missing cables drove me nuts for a while but there we enough options/workarounds to get me going. Hopefully thier tech support will mail me what was missing.

I remain curious- what caused the DELL OEM power supply (Model N375P) to prematurely fail after two years?   I have over a dozen DELLs and have never come across this. This unit is plugged into an surge suppressor/battery backup so itw not a power line spike or anything. I have power settings set to power saver (sleep after 60 minutes. I assume its nothing on the motherboard that would cause the power supply to fail. Was it just luck of the draw?

0 Kudos
contrvlr
5 Rhenium

(http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=637 )

Good choice, I like the total modular idea.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

Good choice, I like the total modular idea.

Yes - complete pleasure to work with. Also, their customer support is excellent. Very fast respose over email and totally accomodating. Zero hassle, no challenges etx. Re the missing cables , they offered to etiher order me a set  (which would take few weeks) or imeediately replace tha power supply! No questions asked. Now that's service.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
9 Rhodium

Okay, new power supply installed and I am back in business. So it was the power supply after all.

A thank you again to those who were good enough to guide me through this.

The ULTRA model (Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply) is a beautfiul unit - really appears to be a high quality item re design, packaging,  setup, appearance and (lifetime) warranty. Straightforward install.

The only complaint was a missing set of cables Recall, this unit is modular so the 'wires' are packaged seperately and used as needed. The missing cables drove me nuts for a while but there we enough options/workarounds to get me going. Hopefully thier tech support will mail me what was missing.

I remain curious- what caused the DELL OEM power supply (Model N375P) to prematurely fail after two years?   I have over a dozen DELLs and have never come across this. This unit is plugged into an surge suppressor/battery backup so itw not a power line spike or anything. I have power settings set to power saver (sleep after 60 minutes. I assume its nothing on the motherboard that would cause the power supply to fail. Was it just luck of the draw?

Sheldon G

Pleased to hear that the problem has been resolved.

Regards to power supply failures, they are mechanical devices and as such will fail, it's just a question of when, hence the reason for warranties.

I have a Dell power supply in an 'old' L Series PC, manufactured in 1999 and it's still working fine, guess that you were unlucky. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Sheldon G
3 Zinc

power supply in an 'old' L Series PC, manufactured in 1999 and it's still working fine, guess that you were unlucky. 

I got an L-series as well (L733), still purring - an even older T500 for the guest room - still good for checking email etc. Both have original DELL power supplies - who'da thought my newest 9200 one would be the first to go!  Could be US/Mexico parts vs overseas???

EPILOGUE - When I put the case back on the 9200, it was very very tight. - reason: the hard drive are close to the edge and as luck would have it, the SATA plugs on the ULTRA are much deeper that the OEM version!  See pic : http://www.box.net/shared/1cp5n4ie74 .  So its on, but quite tight - hope its not an issue over time. If it is I'll need to creatively remount the hard drives.

0 Kudos