Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2014 18:00

DELL Optiplex 780 desktop PCI Express add on card

I have Optiplex 78 desktop and using the built in video card. I would like to add a PCI express USB 3 card (SYBA SD-PEX 20122 into free PCI expressx16 port on the motherboard. The computer however identifies it as unknown PCI serial port. The drivers from manufacturer cannot be installed; they reported that no suitable hardware was detected. I installed this card in another computer and it works just fine. I installed a PCI Express video card in the Optiplex 780 (to check the slot performance) and it works fine as well. I know that DELL sells the PCI express wireless cards for this model, so the slot should work. Machine BIOS - A15, OS – Windows 7 pro x64 Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 4th, 2014 20:00

According to the manual, the PCIe x16 slot is disabled when you connect a monitor to the onboard video connector. So you can't use that slot for anything other than a video card.

If you want to install some other type of card, you have to use one that fits in a PCI slot because that's the only other type of slot that's available in the desktop version of the 780, according to the manual, and it has to be a low profile PCI card unless you have the card riser. With the riser you can use a full height PCI card.

7 Posts

May 4th, 2014 21:00

Hi Ron, Thanks for the answer, but how would you explain that in the Optiplex 780 Technical Guidebook (follow the link and look on pg. 13, top) shown available (for desktop) optional pcie Broadcom gigabit network card. How this card will work if pcie slot is disabled? David http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_new_en.pdf

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 5th, 2014 12:00

Well, all I can say is the guide must be incorrect. :emotion-10:

The desktop doesn't have any PCI-e slots other than the X16 video slot so you can't use any other PCI-e card in the desktop, even thought the mini-tower has an available x1 PCI-e slot.

And you've confirmed that a PCI-e x16 video card works in your slot, but the other card doesn't.

I'll point this out to my Dell tech contacts and see what they have to say about this contradiction. :emotion-5:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2014 16:00

The computer however identifies it as unknown PCI serial port.

Then it sounds like the PCI-e slot is working. You just need to find the right driver for your OS.

I see 3 different ones on Downloads Tab.

One should work.

http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1229

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2014 18:00

SYBA USB 3 card works fine on another computer (I know what drivers it required).

Are both computers running 64-BIT  ... Windows-7 ?

I would still try the other updated online drivers.

For now, don't connect the INTERNAL 20-pin cable (if available), but DO connect the Internal 4-pin Molex power.

7 Posts

Thanks for your help, I really hope that there is somewhere in the BIOS or on the motherboard itself) undocumented switch/selector and my pcie card will work. Let me know please what your DELL contact will say. David

7 Posts

Hi Tesla, Like I have mentioned before, the slot is working OK with another video card, and my SYBA USB 3 card works fine on another computer (I know what drivers it required). However it does not working on OptiPlex 780. Ron, in his reply, pointed that the slot must be disabled when onboard video is used, but this contradicts the tech guide. Hopefully someone from DELL will comment. Regards, David

7 Posts

Are both computers running 64-BIT  ... Windows-7 ?
Yes they both running W7 x64
For now, don't connect the INTERNAL 20-pin cable, but DO connect the Internal 4-pin Molex power.
I did not connected the 20 pin cable, and always connect 4-pins Molex, the card will not works without it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

pointed that the slot must be disabled when onboard video is used

Pretty sure this is just refering to the common practice of disabling one-or-the-other video devices.

Wouldn't make any sense to include (only one) PCIe x16 slot that can't be used for various Add-In cards.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 5th, 2014 20:00

You can try this. Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load to open BIOS setup. Look for the Primary Video option, and if not already set to Onboard/Card, change it to that option. Save the change and exit setup. See if the USB card will work now. Have my doubts...

7 Posts

May 5th, 2014 21:00

open BIOS setup. Look for the Primary Video option, and if not already set to Onboard/Card, change it to that option. Save the change and exit setup. See if the USB card will work now. Have my doubts...
Already done this, no difference.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2014 12:00

Already done this, no difference.

That's what I expected.

If you still want to install a USB3 card, have a look at this one which fits in a PCI slot. Says it fits "small form factor computers" so it might even fit your desktop 780 without the riser card that's required for full-height add-in cards.

And I heard back that one of the Dell tech people is going to look into the inconsistency in the manual vs. tech sheet, but I don't think that's going to help your issue.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2014 17:00

If you still want to install a USB3 card, have a look at this one which fits in a PCI slot. Says it fits "small form factor computers" so it might even fit your desktop 780 without the riser card that's required for full-height add-in cards.
I already looked at this option, but with the pci slot you wouldn’t get even close to USB 3 speed, just slightly more than regular USB 2, plus the card itself is quite expensive, so it just doesn’t make any sense for me. I still hope that DELL will come with good resolution, I cannot believe that in such popular model, which is on the market for at least 4 years, no one was tried to install a pcie expansion card and DELL still has info of such card availability in their literature.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 6th, 2014 19:00

I've yet to get close to USB3 rated speeds on a brand new PC with native USB3 slots. Best I've ever done with USB3 external hard drive is ~3.5 - 4x faster than a standard USB2 stick in the same slot.

I cannot believe that in such popular model, which is on the market for at least 4 years, no one was tried to install a pcie expansion card and DELL still has info of such card availability in their literature.

You'd be surprised... :emotion-3:

1 Message

July 7th, 2015 03:00

Hey Guys,

I have the DELL Optiplex 780, and I was worried if I could use two Firewire cards (IEEE1394a) at the same time using PCI and PCIE slots. I had the PCI to IEEE1394a card earlier.  I purchased PCIE to IEEE1394a card today and I was able to use the both cards successfully as I checked by loading two cameras connected to the cards  through firewire cables.

So at least PCIE  slot works fine for using IEEE1394 in the DELL computer.

Good luck

No Events found!