Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2008 12:00

DELL SUPPORT A WASTE OF TIME !

Here is the short version of a 1 hour phone conversation with some one in India reading from a script to answer my problems,

Hello my name is Rasheed how can I help?

Good morning my computer is freezing on the bios splash screen.

Rasheed - Have you tried f2?

Me - Yes and f8, f12 ctrl+alt+d and tried booting from disc, still doesn't work.

Rasheed - Can you unplug your system and hold the power button for 60 seconds ?

Me - Yes, but it still doesn't work.
Look I have tried everything can you send me an engineer I've only had it 5 months and it needs a new battery fitting on the motherboard.

Rasheed - We must complete the checks first, can you take the side off the computer case ?

Me - No I am in a wheelchair, just send me an engineer.

Rasheed - Can anyone else in the house do it ?

Me - Well there is my 76 year old mother !

Rasheed - Can she do it ?

Me - If you wake her up at 2am she will take my head off never mind the computer side. Can you just send me an engineer ?

Rasheed - I will send someone to collect it find out the problem and then get an engineer to fix it, will that be okay ?

Me - Well I suppose so.

Rasheed - Can you put the computer in some packing and wrap it so someone can collect it ?

Me - I cannot pick it up never mind wrap it you pillock, all I want is a new battery fitting can you please send someone ?

Rasheed - I will send someone to collect it if you pack it.

Me - I am in a wheelchair I cannot move the system and I have 1YR XPS PREMIUM WARRANTY SUPPORT - PRIORITY just send me someone and get it sorted.

At this stage I hung up because I didn't want to offend the muppet on the other end of the phone and I have just classed it as the same as the sound card issue that is still unresolved a waste of time, £1700 for a computer that has worse audio than an AM radio station and a battery that lasts 5 months. I have come to the conclusion that Dell are not worth bothering with and as far as there systems go I wouldn't buy one if they were half price and the customer service is GARBAGE.

The error by the way was failed at checkpoint Ithr which if my training serves me right is a corrupt CMOS battery ?

552 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 18:00

@KryttosArcadia wrote:
Welcome to America's outsourcing of jobs.  I bet if americans had these jobs, things would get done faster, more efficiently.

You may be right. However, the responsibility lies squarely in the Dell's Management's Lap.

This kind of support. or lack therof,  starts at the top. Dell Management is very aware of this and as I mentioned earlier, is done by design.

The only problem with this type business model, is it will collapse under it's failures. It is very good for the short term but disastrious in the long term.

All you have to do is recall the early days when many computer suppliers were in the market and Dell stood out in the pack due to it's superior support.

Now the tide has turned and Dell is in the position as all the other "used to bes".

It is just a matter of time now.

July 22nd, 2008 18:00

@boyd B wrote:

After being promised a Dell manager would call me today, and has not called, I got on Dell Chat again and was told them same thing I have been told about 21 times now.

I also requested a different model system since the XPS420 does seem to have some considerable inherient issues. Some users don't notice it, but others do. He advised me I would get a refurbished unit which was unacceptable to me since I purchased a new unit with defects.

And since these defects are many and inherient to the system, a refurbished XPS420 was not acceptable.

I have now been beaten down by Dell and it's non-existent support and have decided to just purchase another motherboard and transfer all the usable components from the XPS420 and use the case I already have to build me another system and throw this XPS420 in the trash.

I am willing to take the loss not to have the deal with "The Dell Hassle".

I believe this "Hassle" is by design also from Dell.

Dont throw it away ...call trading standards if you are from the UK ,,if you are from USA i dont know ..but dont throw it away ...go and seek legal advice...before anything hasty...

i think the service is all due to a language issue and i really do think things are not logged all the time and ..regarding my replacement xps ..i really do think they have lost it ...as to why as it taken them 55 days to today ...and still no system...im thinking of selling the replacement and building my own...

July 22nd, 2008 20:00

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this post is.
* You must be joking.

The title is all caps indicating you are yelling.
* Lots of newbie's don't know that so EASE UP AND BACK OFF! Yeah, yelling.

Is it just to rip Dell service as a whole? If it is, I disagree that Dells Tech service is worthless. The majority of my interactions with them over 15+ years have been positive, the few that were not, I simply tried again.
* Do I smell a corporate shill for Dell and Forum "plant"?

Are you asking the Dell forum community what to do next?...if so, the post does not indicate that...
* He has every right to communicate his experience with the famously notorious Dell failure at outsourcing.

Are you trying to get an angry mob together for a sit in/protest rally?..if so, I am available, but I must be fed, or I won't come.
* Again, he has every right to be angry - and an angry mob is exactly what Dell needs.

Whatever your reason for posting, perhaps if you calmly rationally post again with a little detail on exactly what you want from all of us, you might get what you consider more constructive posts in response.
* aka: Just drink the Koolaid, AK1one.

I will not keep my opinion to myself, you posted a rambling rant in a public forum and everyone, including me has the right to post our observations of it.  Perhaps if you tried calling them again, you might get someone to help you get your issue resolved, and again after that if it is required.
* And AK1one has the same right as you - and me - and everyone - to not keep his opinions to himself, to post our observations, so try practicing the so-called egalitarianism you so transparently preach.

133 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 04:00

I'll address my experience with DELL XPS premium service. After receiving my XPS 720, turned on the system, and installed the system. After couple of days, it started to show blue screen frequently... Later on, it can't load into windows. Run with vista memory diagnostics tool, it told me "hardware problem was detected, please contact the computer manufacturer.".

So i have to call DELL XPS hotline. i had to admit this is truely hotline. Waited for around 30mins, finally had a long conversation with tech support. I did all the required precedures as she spoke "boot with F8, try using DELL utility CD etc. After reporting the results from these precedures, she had to talk with senior technician... onhold for another 10-20mins. Back online, she told me it was possibly motherboard failure.. thank you... she told me would send a technician Next on business day with new mobo... hang up... i felt released.

1 hour later, she called again from malaysia,she told she would still dispatch the technician, but the technician will diagnose my system again. Later he would contact with XPS technician directly on site. What's a long weekend! Monday morning, he arrived in time, after explaining the problems, onsite technician called xps line, repeated all what i've done plus something extra. It took him the whole morning, finally they agreed to replace the mobo even the none failty HDD. 

the day after, onsite technician came same time, and replaced my mobo and HDD. Now the system responsed to DELL utility disk. IT seems everything was working in order. Reinstalled the OS, waited for around 10 mins, no more blue screen. He signed off my case, and took off.

Unfortunately it didn't sort all the problem, random blue screen again. Did some tests, nailed the problem, one single RAM didnt pass the RAM test.

I called the onsite technician again, he told me i had to log on another case about the problem. geese,... so called XPS again, did test each single RAM with dell utility CD under requirement. Eventually XPS technician agreed to log a replacement RAM stick for me which would dispatch the same day. 

24 hours later, the ram arrived in the morning, and the system was good to go... 

Generally speaking, the service was above average... patient, but not so professional. 

ps, i'm from New Zealand, and the technician i spoken was from Malaysia and Singapore.

July 23rd, 2008 08:00

i think this is where alot of us who buy a dell system speacaily an XPS and the premium support should be second to none..

but alot of it is the waiting and holding (your phone bill) ..you proberbly will get the thing sorted if you keep onto them but this ends up being very expensive..

again i have sent numerous emails about the situation im in and NOT 1 reply back..i have to say that yes i have had phone calls but they all said the same thing over and over...we will phone you tomorrow to update you on your dell XPS desktop computer...most of the time i was never called back i had to phone them...to this day i believe that they had missplaced my pc and can not find it as why would it now have taken them 56 days to doday.

i now have a date of the 29th july for my new computer but im not holding my breath as i have no order number and the tech i spoke to over the phone yestaday told me abunch of porkys..(lies) giving me wrong customer number and order number after being on the phone 30 mins with him..this was now a waste of time...something needs to be done before dell start losing sales...as a few years ago ...people only praised dell for there service....NOW its the other way around..!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 07-23-2008 10:17 AM

133 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 09:00

Generally i still prefered local service centre. i did own couple of macs in the past, their service is top of notch... Just goto service centre, hand over machine, explain the problem... they will call you back when it's all repaired (usually in 1-3 days depending on parts' availability). No meanless questions asked.

Compared to Apple, dell service is quite a long way to go. :smileysad:

bottomline, my DELL XPS was handled well, and i was satisfied... 

July 23rd, 2008 11:00

Dell just need to get there customer service right as there is clearly a problemin this field....aspeacialy when it takes you 10 mins to say a sentance so the tech can understand what you are saying...to me i think people who buy high end systems should call dell for FREE and not be charged for the call....

i dont know what you folkes in US get charged for phoning dell but we get charged alot over here in the UK..and its not loacal call charges..

Message Edited by KILLSWITCH 73 on 07-23-2008 01:03 PM

133 Posts

July 24th, 2008 04:00

in New Zealand, it's free 0800 numbers. But the XPS hotline is transfered to offshore Malaysia& singapore.
No Events found!