Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2013 14:00

DELL VOSTRO 220 POWER ON PROBLEM

I have a dell vostro 220 that all of suddenly stop working and a ember light came on.i notice the power supply had no green light.I have removed the power supply box and replaced it with a working one as soon as it turn on i get the ember light again and the computer power supply and fan stops then starts working again and still will not come on.Any ideas out there?My only option is to spend some more money to carry it to staples.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2013 15:00

According to the manual

If the power light is blinking amber:

• The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist.
  • Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location, if applicable.
  • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board

If the power light is steady amber:

• A device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.
  • Remove and then reinstall the memory modules
  • Remove and then reinstall any cards

Also see what happens when you boot with all peripherals disconnected, except mouse, monitor and keyboard.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2013 15:00

BTW: If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove those and connect PC directly to the wall.

6 Posts

March 15th, 2013 20:00

Rohn thx for the help.I had try everything and the power light is still steady amber.I have only have 2 memory cards inside and no other cards.I had only the power cord connected.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 16th, 2013 20:00

How is the monitor connected to the PC? Are you using an add-in video card or the onboard VGA port?

Try this:

1. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button.
  2. Remove the RAM module from the second slot (slot furthest from the CPU).
  3. Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  4. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  5. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected
  6. Then repeat #1
  7. Swap the RAM module that's in slot 1 with the one you removed
  8. Repeat #3 - #5

If it boots with only one of the two RAM modules in slot 1, then one failed. You'll have to replace both of them because you need a matched pair. If it boots when either module is in slot 1,  do #1 and then put the other module in slot 2 and repeat #3- #5.

If it won't boot with either RAM module installed in slot 1:

1. Do #1 above
  2. Open case and disconnect power cables from hard drive and optical drive(s)
  3. Do #3 - #5 above

If it still doesn't boot, disconnect mouse and keyboard and reboot again. If no go, do #1 and disconnect monitor and reboot again.

BTW: At some point after you do #1 and before you open the case, carefully examine all USB ports on the tower (front and rear) to see if any of them is bent or otherwise damaged. Make sure the connectors inside aren't touching each other. You may need a flashlight to see into the port openings. Don't push anything metal into the ports! If a USB port is damaged ("shorted" it could cause the system to shut down immediately to prevent it from frying.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2013 10:00

Sorry for the late reply,I took the pc into staples and wrote down the things you suggested to try.The worker there examined it and try everything you mention but take out the batterie.The worker said the motherboard needs to be replaced.A friend of mine said the old computer supply could had fried the motherboard when it stoped working,could this happen?On another subject.What motherboard types does a dell vostro 220 mini-tower support?If I got to replace the motherboard I rather get one that had more slots for more upgradability

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 5th, 2013 13:00

Sorry for the late reply,I took the pc into staples and wrote down the things you suggested to try.The worker there examined it and try everything you mention but take out the batterie.The worker said the motherboard needs to be replaced.A friend of mine said the old computer supply could had fried the motherboard when it stoped working,could this happen?On another subject.What motherboard types does a dell vostro 220 mini-tower support?If I got to replace the motherboard I rather get one that had more slots for more upgradability

wasabiman

Yes, it's possible the motherboard could have been fried.

Regards to the motherboard, you will find it better to buy another Vostro 220 MT motherboard, this probably will be a refurbished unit.

http://www.notebookparts.com/dell-vostro-220-220s-mt-desktop-motherboard-0ckcxh-ckcxh/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Dell+Vostro+220+220S+MT+Desktop+Motherboard+&_sacat=58058&_from=R40

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2013 15:00

Sorry to hear they couldn't solve the problem

Thanks to Bev for finding possible replacement boards for you!

6 Posts

April 5th, 2013 17:00

Thx bev both to you and ron.I have only two questions left.1.is it easy to install a motherboard? i'm new at computer repair i have only replaced memory and a power supply box.2. Is there any other dell motherboard types that fits a dell vostro 220 mini-tower?I'm looking for one that has more slots for memory upgrades.If there isn't i have no choice but to replace it with the same motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2013 18:00

Dell typically uses custom connectors between the motherboard and front panel, so it's not usually possible to swap in a different board. If you want a different board, you probably need a new case and new power supply too. Plus, you'd have to buy a new license for Windows because the Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD will only install Windows if there's a Dell motherboard in the PC.

Instructions to remove/replace the motherboard are on page 78, here. Read and follow carefully. You'll need a tube of thermal paste (eg Arctic Silver) so you can put fresh paste on top of the CPU after it's installed in the new board, before you attach the heatsink. You only need a small tube and a very thin layer on the CPU, after you clean off the old thermal paste from both surfaces.

Good luck!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 5th, 2013 21:00

wasabiman

To add to Rohe's excellent post, before buying a refurbished/used motherboard, check if the seller has a warranty on it and their return policies.

Bev.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2013 00:00

Thx for the links bev. I checked out the first link and didn't see my model number CN-0P301D.I keep a eye out on that ebay link mayb something turn up.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2013 01:00

Thx ron a lot.This is very helpful.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

There's a refurbished Vostro 220 motherboard here with 90 warranty for $129. I think it will fit both the 220 and 220S

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

And there's one here for the 220S for $70. Ask about warranty, and make sure either board fits your exact 220 system.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2013 21:00

Thx bev both to you and ron.I have only two questions left.1.is it easy to install a motherboard? i'm new at computer repair i have only replaced memory and a power supply box.2. Is there any other dell motherboard types that fits a dell vostro 220 mini-tower?I'm looking for one that has more slots for memory upgrades.If there isn't i have no choice but to replace it with the same motherboard.

It's possible to swap in a different motherboard; the issue is that the rear IO shield is an integral part of the chassis, and it would have to be cut out in order to fit an IO shield for another board. Unless you're comfortable doing that, you're limited to a Vostro 220 or Inspiron 530 motherboard.  

This note was written on a Vostro 220s, which I have retrofitted with a Pentium Dual Core E6300 and Rosewill aftermarket cooler.

No Events found!