Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2011 07:00

DELL XPS 420 425W PSU - Will a Radeon 6950 work in it?

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone tried a Radeon 6950 in a Dell XPS 420 with a 425W PSU?  What is the most powerful card to date that you know of successfully used in this system.  I will probably need to upgrade my Radeon 4850 once BF3 is released.  I play at 1024x768 on an old CRT monitor so I don't need to game at high resolution...but I do like high graphic settings. 

I am hoping to get another 2 or 3 years out of this system...   :)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

1.5K Posts

October 13th, 2011 17:00

I really don't see the point of getting an HD 6950 for an older system especially with an old CRT monitor with such low resolution.  It would definitely be a bad match with your CPU and monitor and would not perform as it is capable of doing. Running at higher resolutions is the best way to get better looking graphics not turning up the game settings.  I would not feel comfortable gaming with the HD 6950 on your current power supply.  My suggestion would be to take it down to the HD 6850 which will work fine on the 425W unit and put the savings towards a better LCD monitor that has a 1920 x 1080 resolution and you will be much happier.   Even your HD 4850 should play the game at the low resolution you have now.  

37 Posts

October 14th, 2011 11:00

I was thinking of trying the 4850 with BF3 although I have a hard time believing it can handle it smoothly even at low res at medium settings.  We shall see though.  From all of the research I have done, seems like the 6850 is the way to go, not the 6950.   I read where somebody did try the 6950 with the 425PSU and he could not boot up hic pc and was getting power save messages.  

I don't plan on buying a nice lcd gaming monitor until my next pc.   I like to get at least 5 years out of my pc's on principal.  I don't  believe in buying a new one every 3 years.    I have played BC2 on high def resolution and it is nice but not so much that I am willing go out and spend $1500 on a new pc to do so.   Given the choice of high res or high graphic settings...I woudl choose high graphic settings.  Cant make low settings look good even at high def...

No Events found!