Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2013 16:00

DELL XPS8500 FACTORY RESTORE

Hi Everyone.

i have a dell xps 8500 desktop which runs or window 7 home prem. i had issue with comp and it was unable to boot. i treid every possible thing to boot up  eg safe mode, launching repairs etc.. i treid to run the cd which i had created as backup but it did't boot.. finally i gave a call to dell support..

they told me to run diagonists which i had run before ...no issues with hardware..so finally we came to conclusion to clean install  the windows. so they send me the installation cd. Now if i install the cd i 'll lose all my data and all the other programmes that were installed with it. so i asked dell support can i add another hard disk install the op sys on that disk.. and then access my old disk and back up data. they said its ok to do that. so i did that.

Now i am wondering is there any way i can physically find the factory image on the hard disk and get restore it?

is that possible . i do see a restore partition but it shows empty. i do have backup cd in total 6 in numbers.  how do i backup restore from cd? i have tried doing a normal installation by backup cd.. but no good..

Any help will be appriciated

Thanks

Ravi

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2013 23:00

Hi ravi_stk,

If you have created the recovery disks from the Dell Datasafe Local Backup, you may re-install the operating system (using recovery disks) and restore the computer back to factory settings on your new hard drive. However, you might not be able to recover the image from the recovery partition of old hard drive. 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

2 Posts

March 5th, 2013 02:00

Hi Chinmay

Thanks for  your reply. with respect to back up from cd. what is the best way to do backup from the cd... i've tried it but it doesn't boot from back up cd.. if you can give me few options that would be great..at the moment it seems nothing works

Thanks

Ravi

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi ravi_stk,

If you are not able to boot computer from the recovery CD's you created, it might be due to the corrupted media and you would not be in a position to retrieve the factory image. However you may create your own customized partition. I believe you have already installed Windows 7 and drivers on your computer. Install the needful application and then create a customized partition using Dell data safe local. It would take a snapshot of the current image of computer and will create an image of it on a separate partition. With that you would be able to do a factory image restore to restore. You may download the Dell Data safe local from link: http://bit.ly/RdIv8G

Click on 'Download the Basic Version of DSL'

Follow the prompts on screen to install the Dell data safe local. Once the installation is complete, restart your computer and then try creating the recovery media. For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://dell.to/RgKnOi 

Please reply for further clarifications.  

No Events found!