46K Posts

January 4th, 2009 12:00

Deleted Double post.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 4th, 2009 12:00

BOBOHIO

You can buy a Dell Dimension 8100 compatible case/processor fan from HERE.

Contact Skyline and tell them it's for a Dell Dimension 8100.

Bev. 

8 Posts

February 25th, 2009 21:00

shesagordie AKA Bev:

First, you have some of the best posted answers on the forum. I have the same problem, my fan quit on my Dell Dimension 8100. I contracted SkyGraphics and they suggested a variable speed JMC 9025-12HBTA.  Is this the original fan? Is there a JMC upgrade fan that will provide superior cooling? I run a lot of CAD (AUTOCAD and Sketch up so CPU can get pretty hot). 

Thanks.

Voochco

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

Voochco

No, it's not the original fan, but it is compatible with 8100.

If you want a new Dell 8100 fan, then you would need to buy the unit from HERE

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 27th, 2009 12:00

Voochco

You are welcome.

That's one heck of a big difference in price.      :emotion-3:

Bev.

8 Posts

February 27th, 2009 12:00

Bev:

Thanks! I ordered the one from Sky Graphics. Much less expensive ($17 +S&H vs $39.99 + S&H). Sky was VERY helpful and courteous. It is a good high quality JMC fan and should do the trick.

Voochco

8 Posts

March 12th, 2009 00:00

Bev:

Got the replacement fan and installed. Worked ok the first boot up, but then could not reboot. I had also changed the CMOS battery. I get a message: Invaid Configuration Please run SETUP. At first nothing but a blinking cursor would come up. I left the computer unplugged for a few days, and tried again today. It came up w/ same message, then "Press F1 to boot or F2 for setup. Pressed F! and it was able to boot.  Going to try rebooting and see if I can get it to reboot. I also replace the hard drive about 6 months ago. 

8 Posts

March 12th, 2009 02:00

Ok, now I am back to the same problem I had before the fan was change. ACKKK!! Got rid of the error message w/ the" Invalid Configuration Please Run SETUP & Press F! to boot or F2 to enter Setup" by going into Set up and changing the boot order to the CDROM before my Floppy Drive. I proceeded to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2006, and it successfully uninstalled and allowed me to restart during the process.

Then, I started to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 instead. It said Spybot 1.2 is incompatible and will be automatically uninstalled. So it was, got a clean reboot, went through all the steps w/ Kaspersky restarting as needed 2 times I think. On the 3rd restart needed, I got the same old message that started this whole problem:

Diskette 0 seek failure

Alert! Hard Drive thermal probe not detected

Alert! Card Cage fan not detected

Alert! System fan not detected

Alert! Chip Set Heat Sink Not detected

System Halted.

Note that the Bios Battery was recently changed. Also, one of the heat sink clips seemed to be loose but was fixed long ago. I did notice that the heat transfer pad between the CPU and heat sink was rather "dry" and the top layer was peeling off slightly. I had cleaned off the bottom of the heat sink carefully w/ alcohol and allowed to dry thoroughly and reset it on the now stickier pad. On a side note would it help to apply some heat transfer paste to the top of the pad between the pad and heat sink? I would order the part, but DELL is useless sometimes ordering parts. Nearly every time I order something, they sent the wrong item. HELP! I really need to get this computer up and running ASAP.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 12th, 2009 13:00

Voochco

Have these problems occur after uninstalling Norton and installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2009?

Diskette 0 seek failure

First check that floppy drive's power and data cables are properly conected to the drive and motherboard, if this does not correct the problem, replace the drive.

Did you reapply the thermal compound to the heatsink and processor?

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Alert! Chip Set Heat Sink Not detected.

Check that both processor and chipset heatsinks are firmly attached to the motherboard.

Alert! Card Cage fan not detected/Alert! System fan not detected. 

Try clearing the 'System Event Log' in the system setup.

Try clearing the NVRAM.

Bev.

8 Posts

March 12th, 2009 15:00

Voochco

Have these problems occur after uninstalling Norton and installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2009?

Yes. However, I was having the same problems prior to doing this. Also, Kaspersky did not completely install because on the last restart, this problem occurred and could not boot.

Diskette 0 seek failure

First check that floppy drive's power and data cables are properly conected to the drive and motherboard, if this does not correct the problem, replace the drive.

I did check the connections- Disconnected and reconnected. It allowed me to boot, but then the problem kept recurring after one to 3 or 4 re-boots.

Did you reapply the thermal compound to the heatsink and processor?

No. I will try the procedure listed. There is a small about 3/4"x3/4" inch "thermal transfer 'pad". I will follow the directions but should the pad be replaced/removed and thermal compound used alone or with the pad?

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Alert! Chip Set Heat Sink Not detected.

Check that both processor and chipset heatsinks are firmly attached to the motherboard.

The heat sink is firmly attached but will check chipset. In the Dell manual it does mention that if you re-seat the chipset you need to use new thermal compound or pad.

Alert! Card Cage fan not detected/Alert! System fan not detected. 

Try clearing the 'System Event Log' in the system setup.

If I can get into setup (when these errors occur, it say F2 for setup but sometimes, it does not allow you to enter setup, it goes directly into the error messages

Try clearing the NVRAM.

I actually tried this, however, then I got a message Invalid configuration information Please run SETUP 

Press F1 to boot or F2 for Setup. I did that, and ran SETUP. Changed the boot order to CDROM, then Hard Disk, then Floppy from previous configuration that was Boot order- Floppy, Hard Drive, CDROM

Thank you for your help and patience. These problems are intermittent and driving me crazy. Just when things seem to be working again, after 2-3 restarts or shut downs, the problems re-occur.  Have also noticed when the computer has been left unplugged for several days to a week, and re-started, it often will work for one boot at least- giving false hope.

Any chance this all could be a mother-board or power supply problem?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 12th, 2009 16:00

Voochco

Yes, you need to clean the remains of the thermal pad from the heatsink, before applying the thermal compound.

Have you checked the readings of the four diagnostic lights on the back panel and the power button LED, when there is a problem?

See HERE

Try running diagnostics on  the 8100, the insructions should be in the 8100 owner's manual.

The 8100 power supply, is a Dell proprietary unit, made just for the 8100 and two or three other Dell desktops.

Bev.

8 Posts

March 15th, 2009 22:00

Voochco

Yes, you need to clean the remains of the thermal pad from the heatsink, before applying the thermal compound.

Ok, got some Arctic Silver 5 from Radio Shack and applied. Reinstalled the heat sink, and fan shroud. Booted up the first time. However, when I tried to reboot, to the Error: "Diskette 0 seek failure". I noted that when looking at the 4 LED indicators on the back, the two left ones were green, two right ones were yellow (GGYY).

I shut down the computer with the on/off switch. Tried a few times to reboot, and got same error, then was able to reboot and get into set-up. I cleared the error messages as you suggested previously. When I hit "Escape" then enter to "Save and Exit", the computer completely shut down. I checked to make sure the power cord was firmly attached to the power supply as it may have been slightly loose, but not totally sure that was it. Tried to reboot again and was able to boot again. Have not tried to reboot yet.

Have you checked the readings of the four diagnostic lights on the back panel and the power button LED, when there is a problem?

See above.

See HERE

Try running diagnostics on  the 8100, the insructions should be in the 8100 owner's manual.

The 8100 power supply, is a Dell proprietary unit, made just for the 8100 and two or three other Dell desktops.

In regard to the diagnostics, I originally had Windows ME (man did that ***) then later upgraded to Windows XP + Service Pack 1 and 2- Much more stable.  Since the first disk died and only transferred data files, the sector w/ the Dell Diagnostics may not be on this third hard drive. This is also my third hard drive. First one failed and was replaced and upgraded w/ XP on second disk. Second disk about 3 years old. Thought is was getting noisy (but may have been the fan failing). 3 years seems to be the limit though for the drives Dell supplies so better safe than sorry, installed new drive while the old one has not failed yet. Keeping it for emergencies.

How can you tesl the power supply? I had one go bad several years ago, but it went totally dead, it was not an intermittent problem. Found a company online that makes the power supplies for Dell. This power supply may not be available in the future, but the gent at the company said they would rig one for me, or may have ones that they keep in stock until Dell's Warrantees are up. They have a $10 power supply tester, but naturally, it does not work on the Units rigged for Dell (LOL). $10 bucks would be short money to have it on hand for peace of mind when diagnosing. FYI here is the company's website: http://www.pcpowercooling.com

Their customer service and techs are VERY helpful and courteous. Waiting to see for sure before purchasing.

Any suggestions of what the problem can be w/ the intermittent boot problem? NOTE: I just replaced the fan (thanks for the help locating a supplier- Skyline Graphics- again- VERY helpful and courteous at Skyline!

Thanks for any more help your can provide

Jeff

Bev.

No Events found!