Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2008 05:00

DIM 4500s Memory

My friend has an ancient Dim 4500S and needs more memory. According to what I've read, this PC has two slots and I think each can take a 1GB module which Dell is selling for about 40 bucks.

The PC currently has 768MB RAM - could it be that there's a 512 module and a 256 module? Strange combination. The manual doesn't state whether the modules must be matched pairs, but I've never heard of a 768MB module.

I'd like to put two 1GB modules in it. Any problems with that?

Thanks
EdP

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 07:00

That seems like a strange combination.  Download and run the free Belarc Advisor, www.belarc.com and it will profile all the hardware (and software) in the PC. 

HERE is the Crucial memory site's listing for that PC.  Crucial is one memory brand that is guaranteed to work in Dell's.  Some brands will not work or work correctly as Dell's tend to be "finnicky" about memory.  Some brands will not work mixed with other brands but will work if it's all the same brand/type.

According to the Crucial site, 2GB is max for this model, but unless there is a memory intensive application that needs lots of memory, 1GB should be sufficient for XP. 

73 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

Thanks for the quick reply, fireberd ...

I have Belarc on my machines, but I don't think she has it on hers. I'll install it and see what it says.

I may just replace whatever is in there with two 1GB modules. This PC's video controller is integrated, so it's using up a chunk of system memory; 2GB should be about right for what this PC needs to do.

EdP

93 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

It's quite common to find systems with a 256 and a 512meg stick installed.  It probably shipped with a single 256 meg stick and the owner upgraded it by adding a 512 meg stick.  That system isn't dual channel and doesn't require system be installed in pairs so different sizes of ram wouldn't have an adverse effect on system performance.  2 gig would max out that system and be a good choice.

73 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 13:00

Thanks much to both of you ...

I just got back from running Belarc on her PC and just as surmised, it has a 512 and 256. I'll pick up a couple of 1GB modules and get that machine movin'.

I am not looking forward to what I might find when I open it, but I'll bring my garage broom just in case.

EdP

No Events found!