RockyRose2
1 Nickel

DRIVERS UPDATE IN SUPPORT ASSIST

I updated 2 drivers that Support Assist recommended.    I checked them off and then d/l them.  Upon completion, I received the window message to Restart my computer.  

I then ran Support Assist again to check for optional drivers.  

Support Assist RECOMMENDED that I UPDATE THE SAME 2  DRIVERS that I just D/L!!!!

This is not the first time this has happened to me.  

Why did my Drivers not UPDATE?    My computer said when it was being Queued and D/L followed by to Reboot.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: DRIVERS UPDATE IN SUPPORT ASSIST

What model computer and which operating system?

0 Kudos
RockyRose2
1 Nickel

I apologize!!!       I know better...just posted too quick without thinking!!

I have the XPS8700.   I am using Windows 7,  IE 11  and Norton Security.   In hindsight, maybe I needed to turn off my Norton?    Though, I would have thought Dell would have told me that there was a problem and the Drivers could not be updated  vs. giving the appearance of a successful d/l and update?

Thank you for replying.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Have you manually compared the version number of the driver(s) that's installed on your to the latest version number of that same driver on the XPS 8700 support page?

More than likely Support Assist is just wrong...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
RockyRose2
1 Nickel

Ron...Thank you for responding!    Again, I should have thought of that!    I apologize for not responding immediately.   I needed some time to research the 2nd driver as I was not familiar with it and I still do not know if I was looking in the correct place.(?)

The 1st Driver listed as a Recommended Update from Support Assist was -

CHIPSET -   Intel Z87 Chipset Driver       Version   9.4.0.1016, A00

My Computer >  System Devices -           Intel(R)  Z87  LPC Controller  -  8C44

The  2nd Driver listed as a Recommended Update from Support Assist was -

Serial ATA - Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver  -  Version 12.6.0.1033,  A01

From what I could find, I understood I needed to go to PROGRAMS > INTEL > UPDATES >

INTEL  MANAGEABILITY ENGINE FIRMWARE RECOVERY AGENT

A new window popped up where I could check the Status on my Updates.

I ran it twice and I received a message...."The check for updates could not be completed.   Please make sure that your system has  Internet access."  ...which I did have.  

There was a message to go to intel.com/support for more information.   But...

Per Dell's instructions-

Note: Dell recommends that you download and install the device drivers from the Dell Drivers & Downloads website. Installing device drivers from a non-Dell website can cause system performance issues, corrupt operating system files, bluescreen errors, unexpected shutdown or infect your PC with malicious software.

Any suggestions?

Rose

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

You can go to Intel's download site and let its wizard scan your hardware for updated chipset and IRST drivers. If you're concerned, manually set a System Restore point before installing any new drivers the Intel site may offer, but I don't think you'll have any problems using the Intel site.

And I'd still ignore Support Assist.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos