Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2008 13:00

DV Camcorder not recognised by Vista/Windows moviemaker

Re: inspiron 530 - Quad core processor - Desktop

Operating System: Windows Vista.

Hi

I recently purchased the above PC from Dell so i could turn the video footage I'd made of my travels into DVDs.  However when i connected my Camcorder (samsung VP-D323) via the USB to the PC and loaded the software that came with the camera, Vista didn't recognise it. (The software had worked previously on XP on another PC). It said that drivers weren't installed.

I contacted Samsung and they gave me a link to for driver to download. This I did (it is in a WinRAR file - i'm not too sure what this is).

When i connected my video camera to the PC the PC recognised that a new device had been attached but when I go into Windows Moviemaker it said that it could not find a compatiable device. I have checked everything I know (which isn't that much) but am a bit lost.

I read on another forum that I should buy a firewire, but I see on my PC that there is no slot for a firewire cable.

What can I do to upload my video without spending a fortune? Do I need new software, a new camera or some other new driver download or add-on?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

(PS. message also posted under phot/video discussions)

4 Posts

June 4th, 2008 16:00

I might be incorrect in assuming, but the only way I have ever transferred video footage is through a 1394 port be it 6pin (normal looking firewire) or 4pin (very small)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10312&cs_id=1031201&p_id=169&seq=1&format=2

is what they are talking about, pop that into your computer PCI slot, get a cable and your good to go.

Why it wouldn't be working on vista leads me to believe that "its vista" and something is not working correctly on the OS end. Personally I have had nothing but problems with vista and have reformatted multiple times due to misc annoying errors that would not go away.

4 Posts

June 4th, 2008 16:00

Something else you could try is downloading shareware video capture programs and see if you have the same problem of capturing.

No Events found!