Irishman02191
1 Nickel

DVD/CD Missing from Win 10 No IDT/ATA Controllers in Device Manager

Hello,
             For some reason my DVD CD internal drive in my Inspiron 3847 With the latest win 10 64 bit is not showing the DVD player in the device manager. I have reinstalled the Serial-ATA_Driver_N7YYC_WN_12.7.3.1001_A00 driver but still nothing. Can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas why iots gone all of a sudden? Thank you

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RoHe
6 Thallium

RE: DVD/CD Missing from Win 10 No IDT/ATA Controllers in Device Manager

Did the drive fail..?

If you put a disk in the drive does it spin up?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. See if the SATA port where the optical drive is connected is enabled and if the drive is correctly recognized on that port.

If it's not recognized in BIOS even though the port is enabled, you may want to open the case and check the SATA cable and power connections to the drive.  Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before opening the case.

Then close the case and put a data CD in the drive and reboot. Immediately press F12 and look for options to run the diagnostics and run the optical tests.  Or go here and select the Optical test (with a CD in the drive) and follow the prompts:

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Hello, I put a CD in the drive and it did spin up. I also rebooted then pressed F2 the SATA drive in hardware was set to AHCI and on the boot up screen the DVD/CD was listed after hard drive for boot up. I also tried to run the diagnosis for the optical drive and the message was that it could not find the optical drive. I did check the cables and they were all tight, and I removed them and plugged them back in without any problems. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
kellytran
1 Copper

on the bios system ,  Did you reset all defaut ? why don't try one time ?

<Signature removed>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

The bios has never been changed so I believe they are at the default settings.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

On the diagnostics, did you try the F12 method mentioned by RoHe, or did you run this in Windows? If it was done in Windows, it might be worth trying the F12 method and then choosing diags. If diags works there then it might be something else, but it's worth a shot to try that. The BIOS post is probably worth checking regardless just to see what is shown there. 

Best regards,

Brad 

0 Kudos
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

I am sorry I tried the F12 tests and it passed all tests. I thought the bios may have been corrupted, I wanted to try to reinstall the bios file but since it was the same as what was installed already I could not do that. Since no changes have been made to the bios settings I believe they are set to default settings.

0 Kudos
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Is anyone aware of possible updated rrivers for the DVD/CD? The ones that are available for my machine are 2 years old. Just a thought it may help.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

There are no stand-alone drivers for optical drives. They'll built into Windows.

It's still possible BIOS is corrupted so I would pull the motherboard battery, press/hold the power button for ~30 sec and reinstall the battery.

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

Is the drive visible in Device Manager?

And read this: Disc/ DVD/ CD Drives Not Showing/ Missing on Windows 10

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Irishman02191
1 Nickel

Yes the computer has been scanned by three separate programs all with negative results. The device manager does not show the IDE controlers or the optical drives listed. I did look at the web page you suggested and besides trying to sell me a program to update my drivers, I did try them with the following results,

Method 1 Tried and no upper or lower filters to delete, so this step failed, also added the extra registry key with same results

Method 2 Tried to create this key and same thing no results.

Method 3 Cant uninstall if there are no listings for the drivers to uninstall

Method 4 I tried to update drivers with windows update and drive booster Pro which indicated all drivers were up to date so same resukt.

As for pulling the battery I did look around for that but could not see it. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos