Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

DVD-RW drive will not play any dvd's or cd's

I recently finished getting a Dell XPS 410 Core 2 Duo system back up and running, (so I thought), but when I put any DVD, or CD's into the drive, the green light flashes for a brief moment, and then nothing else.  When I go into My Computer, and click on the DVD drive, it shows nothing there.  I went through Microsoft Fix It, and the verdict was the media in the DVD drive was not readable.  It is, so I have no idea what is going on. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you correctly reconnect both the data and power cables to the DVD drive? Check both cable connections at both ends. Be sure to power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside the case.

Then reboot and open BIOS setup (Press F2 before Windows starts  to load.) Is the DVD drive recognized in BIOS?

Possible the DVD drive failed...?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 11:00

You didn't say what version of Windows you're running, but read this from Microsoft.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 12:00

DVD playback requires Codecs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-media-player-plug-ins

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Important notice for users of Windows XP: To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure that you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) after support ends, to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows, you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 7.

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run now button from the Automated Troubleshooting Services page and follow the steps in this wizard.

Fix this problem
Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services: Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

Windows 7

To resolve this problem on a computer that is running Windows 7, use the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. For more information about how to open this troubleshooter in Windows 7, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Windows Vista

1. Click Start
    Start button
    , and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK.
    User Access Control permission
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer.

Now go to the "Did this fix the problem?"section.

Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2013 16:00

Hi AGP123,

I've got a link below to the upper and lower filter fix.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2013 08:00

The drive could have failed.  I have seen this and replacing the DVD drive with a new one fixes the issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 25th, 2013 12:00

In that case, try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all the current settings
  3. Power off and unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up)
  8. Reboot and confirm that settings match what you wrote down. Save changes and exit

See what happens with DVD now...

Flickering screen could be corrupted video driver, failing monitor or failing video card. I'd fix the DVD problem before starting on another problem. :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Yes, there are adaptors to use an IDE drive on a SATA port or vice versa.  But all that adds to the cost, unless you have future need.

SATA DVD burners can be had for less than $20 for an inexpensive drive...

Maybe you can pick one somewhere that will let you return it for full refund, if it doesn't fix the problem. :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 28th, 2013 21:00

See here, $17.99 and free S/H.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 20th, 2013 10:00

:emotion-21:   :emotion-21:

166 Posts

Yes, I did check in the Bios, and all is well there.  I do not think that the DVD drive is bad.

166 Posts

July 24th, 2013 10:00

I tried doing the Fix it through Microsoft, and it stated essentially that it could not locate the source of the problem.  I tried going to RUN, entering regedit, and then selected HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but could not locate UpperFilters/LowerFilters.  Why is this such an issue?  There is power getting to the drive, but unable to read any cd's or dvd's.  Should I just reinstall XP, and start from scratch?

166 Posts

July 24th, 2013 10:00

Sorry, XP SP3

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 24th, 2013 11:00

When was last time you did  a thorough scan for malware? I'd do that next.

Once you're sure the system is clean, you can run a Windows System File Check (sfc) to make sure all the right files are in the right folders. You'll need a Dell XP Reinstallation disk that's exactly the same version as on your drive, eg XP Home or XP Pro, and it has to have the same Service Pack too, SP3. sfc is non-destructive, meaning your personal files and software won't be affected, but always good to back up first. :emotion-5:

It's possible the drive has actually failed even though it's seen in BIOS. It may not be able to detect the media and/or the laser burned out. Can you find another drive to test in this system or test this drive in a different system?

166 Posts

July 24th, 2013 13:00

Thank you Ron, will give this a try also.

166 Posts

July 24th, 2013 13:00

Where are the upper/lower filters at in regedit?  I did not see them in the right panel.  Thanks

No Events found!