AGP123
2 Iron

Re: DVD-RW drive will not play any dvd's or cd's

Jump to solution

I do run Micorsoft Security Essentials, and CCleaner quite a bit.  I do a Full system scan with M.S.E. at least once a week.  Not sure if that is enough though,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Hi AGP123,

I've got a link below to the upper and lower filter fix.

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Hi AGP123,

I've got a link below to the upper and lower filter fix.

Strongly urge you to backup (export) the entire registry before making any changes, just to be safe.

and thanks Osprey!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
AGP123
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thank you both Osprey, and Ron.  I did actually go through Microsoft and run the Fix it program automatically.  It did report at the end that problem was still present though.  I was going to do an SFC, but the person who owns the computer did not supply me with the reinstallation cd's, and also I cannot get the dvd/cd rom drive to operate anyway.  I will try another dvd drive in the machine, but I fear that is not the problem.  Also, when start-up menu goes to my home screen I have some flickering on the screen.  Not sure if something more is going on here or not.

0 Kudos
AGP123
2 Iron

Jump to solution

By the way, I should have mentioned that this is a machine that I believe the owner tried updating the Bios, and after attempting this thought that the motherboard was bricked because all they could get was the black screen with flashing cursor.  When I hooked up the computer I did get a few msg's, (previous fan failure), for one thing.  I carefully cleaned out the machine, and put new thermal paste, (arctic silver 5).  I did tint both the metal cap of the processor, and heatsink.  Not sure if that is really necessary for what this comp. will be used for, but oh well.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

The drive could have failed.  I have seen this and replacing the DVD drive with a new one fixes the issue.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

In that case, try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all the current settings
  3. Power off and unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up)
  8. Reboot and confirm that settings match what you wrote down. Save changes and exit

See what happens with DVD now...

Flickering screen could be corrupted video driver, failing monitor or failing video card. I'd fix the DVD problem before starting on another problem.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

AGP123
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thank you Ron, Osprey, and Speedstep!!!  I really appreciate all the help.  I did actually replace the battery on Monday.  Owner had it in upside down.  I will first try clearing the CMOS, and if that does not do it, will have to buy another dvd drive.

0 Kudos
AGP123
2 Iron

Jump to solution

One other thing.  I do have 2 other older computers with dvd drive that I know are good.  Unfortunately they are IDE.  Is there any way to either try the questionable SATA dvd player in the older IDE based comp., or a way to try out one of the good IDE players in the XPS 410?  I imagine that I would need some sort of adapter though.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Yes, there are adaptors to use an IDE drive on a SATA port or vice versa.  But all that adds to the cost, unless you have future need.

SATA DVD burners can be had for less than $20 for an inexpensive drive...

Maybe you can pick one somewhere that will let you return it for full refund, if it doesn't fix the problem.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee