Re: Datasafe Local Backup missing from new Studio XPS 8100

REGOGLU - Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it!!!!

Jeff emoticon.Cool.title emoticon.Beer.title

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

0 Kudos
jdxtr
1 Nickel

I'm afraid that "warm fuzzy feeling" will turn into something more like heartburn if and when you actually try to use Datasafe Local to recover from a disaster.   I have a 7 month old XPS 9100 that I really like(d).  I opted to purchase the premium version of Datasafe Local as my disaster recovery vehicle.  Figuring that it would be crazy to store backups on my C: drive, in the event that it should fail, I have a second drive of the same size on my system that I use for non-critical data and for containing the backups produced by Datasafe.  I faithfully and blissfully backed my files up to it.  Yesterday, my C: drive failed hard - couldn't even boot.  No problem, thinks I, I'll just call Dell, they'll install a new drive, and I'll recover from my backup.  Technician installs new hard drive, supposedly containing all the software I had originally from Dell, and system gets running.  Oops, no Datasafe.  I found the link referenced above, downloaded Datasafe Basic and upgraded it to Premium with my purchased key.  So far, so good.  But guess what?  Datasafe hasn't a clue that I have backups on my 😧 drive and provides no options to look for them.  Next, I attempted using the Recovery Disks I made.  Nope, that process can't find the backups either.  I get on Dell support chat.  Tech tells me he is not trained to deal with software like Datasafe, and I must pay Dell to get support from Dell Solution Station, AT A FEE.  Outrageous.  Formerly happy and loyal12 year Dell customer will now shop elsewhere.

Is there any kind and knowledgeable soul out there who can tell me how to recover my data from these backups, and maybe rescue Dell's reputation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jdxtr
1 Nickel

Here's the solution I ended up with:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19372276/19852623.aspx#19852623

0 Kudos
JM99
1 Nickel

RE: Datasafe Local Backup missing from new Studio XPS 8100

Sorry, but this problem still exists - CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT should be what the jilted Dell users should consider against Dell. The link above (the 'dsl' link for Datasafe Local) is broken, which leaves me no option. I will try the Win7-based stuff, but who knows? I know that Acronis TrueImage and others also make excellent full image (bit-for-bit) backups.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Datasafe Local Backup missing from new Studio XPS 8100

Personally I prefer Acronis software and also requesting a Reinstallation DD from Dell for clean installation.

However Dell DataSafe is now obsolete and has been replaced by Dell Backup and Recovery which can be downloaded here:

http://www.dellbackupandrecovery.com/en-us/Index2.html

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos