Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2009 09:00

Dead Dell Dimension 9150

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 that suddenly is totaly dead. The start button is flashing in Amber, and there is a green lamp lightning on the motherboard. No fans nothing happens when i push the start button = totaly dead. I bought a new powersupply but it didn´t help. Is it the motherboard?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 26th, 2009 10:00

dagu66

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a failed power supply, try installing a different power supply.

The 9150 Diagnostic Codes are HERE. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The 9150 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the 9150 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply, from most local, or online computer stores.

Bev.

8 Posts

December 26th, 2009 23:00

Hi,

I have tested a new powersupply but still the same problem. The computer is totaly dead. The green lamp on the motherboard i lightning green as before and start button is flashing in amber. Could it be the start button?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 27th, 2009 09:00

dagu66

Yes, it could be the front I/O panel, but it could also be the motherboard, recheck all the power and data connections inside the case, by removing and reconnecting.

Do any of the fans work, are any of the four diagnostic lights lite?

Bev.

8 Posts

December 27th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

no diagnostic lights lite and no fans works.

Rgds

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 27th, 2009 14:00

dagu66

The new power supply fan is not working also.

Bev.

8 Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

even the new power supply fan isn´t working.

Rgds

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2009 12:00

dagu66

Have you tried connecting the PC to a different power outlet, without the surge protector?

Bev.

8 Posts

December 28th, 2009 12:00

Hi,

I just tried it but still same problem - computer totaly dead. I have forgotten to write that there are also 2 lamps on the RJ45-contact flashing: 1 amber 1 yellow, have done so since the problem with dead computer started. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2009 13:00

dagu66

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and see if power supply's fan and the hard drive run.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

8 Posts

December 29th, 2009 13:00

Hi

8 Posts

December 29th, 2009 14:00

Hi,

I made a test of what you suggested and the computer started. But I get bluescreen saying there are some errors when windows is starting. I should run CHKDISK/F - but how do I enter the DOS Mode - Is it possible?

The thing that the computer starts up when I tested the jumper - does this indicate that I have some problem with the start button?

Rgds

Dan

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2009 14:00

dagu66

You can run CHKDISK/ F from the XP Recovery Console, using the XP reinstallation disc.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Yes, it is possible there is a problem with front I/O panel, but unfortunately, I know of no method of checking the panel, except by replacing it.

A Dimension 9150 refurbished Front I/O panel can be purchased from HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The procedure for replacing the panel, is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

8 Posts

January 1st, 2010 21:00

Hi,

I made CHKDSK /f (r) as suggested.Still same problem with Blue screen when Windows shall start. I think that I will have to reeinstall Windows XP. On my disc I have some important files that I need to get hold of. I have bought a USB SATA DISC DOCKÌNG STATION. It works and I can read the files on the disc. But I had a password on my computer and I can´t read the files under My Documents = No access to this folder, probably due to the password etc. Is there any way to get arround this so that I can read the files? I need for instance my outlook.pst file.

Rgds 

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 12:00

Hi

Have exactly the same problem. Tried powering on whild jumping the green and black wire. Power supply and harddrive powered up nicely. Which to me seems to indicate that they are OK.

But what indication do I get from this. Is the motherboard dead? Or..?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 2nd, 2010 13:00

RuneBoa

Thank's for the heads up and for posting the solution.

Bev.

No Events found!