Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2013 09:00

Deceased Dimension 9200

Can someone help me troubleshoot my Dimension 9200 desktop?

When I press the power button, the diagnostic lights appear in the following pattern:

134, 34, 123, 34, 14, 234, 123, 23, 12, 123.  It then tries to boot from the hard drive (green disk indicator lights) and activity stops.

There are no beep codes, and there is never any video on the monitor.  I know the CD and floppy disk drives work, and the computer responds to keyboard input.  The power and diagnostic code lights remain green at all times.

What should I do next?  Thanks for any suggestions.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 21st, 2015 13:00

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 21st, 2015 15:00

Flashing Amber means Bad Power supply.

Solid Amber is dead motherboard.

Corsair CS750M is a good recommended replacement power supply.

DL2032 is an easy to find Replacement battery. Found in grocery stores at the pharmacy section.  Same battery is used in blood sugar machines.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 21st, 2013 11:00

The only diagnostic code that matters is when they stop blinking. So are you saying it ends with 1-2-3 on? And what color is the power button, and is it solid or blinking?

1-2-3 means "Another problem", and according to the manual:

• Ensure that all hard drive and CD/DVD cables are properly connected to the system board (see "System Board Components" on page 81).
  • If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to ensure that it is functioning properly.
  • If the operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check system setup (see "System Setup" on page 127) to ensure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

Check that the video cable between monitor and PC is connected correctly at both ends. Try a different monitor or test this monitor on another PC. Reseat the video card in its slot, etc.

Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before opening the case.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2013 14:00

I tried all that, with no luck.  123 is the last code, and the power button remains solid green.  I tried the main hard drive in another computer, and it boots to Windows with no trouble.  Hard drive and CD cables are fine, and I went through all the PCI cards with no luck.

It appears that I will have to replace the motherboard.  Thanks for your suggestions, they narrowed down the issues.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 21st, 2013 16:00

I don't think you've narrowed it down to the motherboard yet. Strip it down to bare essentials by disconnecting all drives except boot hard drive, remove all PCI cards except video. Clear BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery.

Try a different video card...

4 Posts

June 21st, 2013 19:00

Same result every time.  I tried each of your suggestions (except a different video card - I didn't have another one, so I tried starting with no video card).  E very time, it shows diagnostic lights 123 and then hangs before booting.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2013 11:00

Turns out it was not the motherboard.

I bought a cheap used Dimension 9200 from Craigslist, intending to swap out the motherboard.  My real problem, which I discovered by troubleshooting using parts from the second computer, was a dead graphics card.  I couldn't figure that out before, because I didn't have a spare graphics card.

I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new OEM motherboard for $180.

Thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 26th, 2013 12:00

Glad you got it fixed.

I did tell you to try another video card... :emotion-4:

Please mark this thread as 'solved'.

22 Posts

April 21st, 2015 13:00

My XPS 410 (renamed to Dim 9200) is dead,  I believe it is the CMOS battery, because on the last day before it died, the time was two minutes slow for the first time in 7-1/2 years. 

Where can I find a support page for replacing the CMOS battery for the Dim 9200/SPS410?

22 Posts

April 21st, 2015 14:00

Thank you for that service manual.

After I posted the question I did a bit more research online.

I didn't know to look at the power button (it was covered).

The other online answer was "a flashing amber power button means a dead motherboard."

Can you confirm?

Thanks

No Events found!