Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2010 07:00

December 2010 Anyone experiencing order/delivery delays/issues?

I placed my order for an Inspiron One 2205 on 6/12/10 hoping to receive it before Christmas. I was under the impression that I would if I ordered by such and such a date. So I go ahead and order and I was given a delivery estimate of 21/12/10 which is all and well. It's 20/12/10 today so I thought I'd check the order status online to make sure things are going as planned then the delivery estimate is pushed back to 21/01/11!! I called customer services and apparently it's because some parts aren't in stock, I'd understand it if the delay was due to adverse weather conditions. I would have preferred it if I was told from the start. I don't even know if I'll receive my Dell system when the time comes. Not at all impressed so far, anyone expericencing order issues?     

1.3K Posts

December 20th, 2010 10:00

I ordered a Studio XPS 9100 on 11/30/2010 and recived it 12/7/2010.   Much faster than the expected delivery date.   I think the day I received it was about the same day it was suppose to ship.   

I am sure the closer you get into Dec the more demand their is and the weather certainly could be a problem.    I am sure Dell keeps a minimum supply of parts on hand becaue the normally work on the OEM supplying parts every day. 

Wish you luck on getting the system.

Thanks

Tom

3 Posts

December 20th, 2010 12:00

Thanks Tom, it just feels like I was made a false promise even though I know it's only an estimate time of delivery but to have it pushed back a month? Oh I don't know, guess I shouldn't keep my hopes up, was really excited to get it in time for Christmas but guess not!

December 22nd, 2010 22:00

Many people are experiencing problems with Dell delays.  I chose my particular computer because I knew my son would have it before Christmas.  Now that the original date of the 15th has come and gone and I have wasted many hours trying to find out what is going on, I wish I had just purchased another computer.  I thought well, I will explain to him that it will now be after Christmas by 3 days. I GOT ANOTHER EMAIL stating it would now be January 3, 2011. Ok...so why is DEll still advertisiing quick fast shipping on some computers when they already have customers that ordered at the beginning of December. BAd business. I wonder how many of their children will not have their Christmas? Seriously upset mom. I guess I should have went with the Asus.  Is this a Federal Trade Commission Issue?  It did keep us from buying other computers. 

CV

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 05:00

Hey CV, that is the same reason why I placed my order because apparently I would receive it before Christmas quote 'order before the 13th and receive in time for Christmas!' or something along those lines. I ordered from the UK so is it just us? What sysem did you order CV? The most recent offer I saw was via email that was sent on 20/12/2010 (5 days before Christmas) declaring 'Hurry! Order today before 21st 6pm - pay by credit card- and get your Dell laptop in time for Christmas!' it's one of those Ships Fast deals. Maybe the laptops do ship fast and other systems take slightly longer. I wonder if Dell can keep to that, it's like false advertising or something. But then again why give an estimate delivery date and then push it back? Mine was pushed back a month! It would be nice to hear someone actually get their system before Christmas. I just hope that when I receive it that there are no problems with it!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 05:00

There are always delivery problems at Christmas. I've previously ordered three systems for Christmas and all were delivered before the holiday. Do you know why? I ordered them in October.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 16:00

Im in the same boat. Although i appreciate i left it a lot later that previous posters. Ordered on Tuesday (obviously before the 6pm cut off). Explained to the indian rep via chat that i needed it here before christmas or i wouldn't order it. Rep checked, no problems with that model. Asked them regarding delays due to the snow etc. No problems.

So got sent an email asking me to accept i was happy to order, replied saying as long as it will be here before 25th. Order place. EDD online  23/12/10. Checked on the 22nd, order showing as shipped, no tracking number. Not to worry i thought. Checked this morning (23rd) still shows as shipped, except EDD has disappeared. Phoned support, explained to the agent that as its a present if there's a chance it won't arrive i'll purchase a laptop. Nope its out for delivery, asked for tracking number, its posted by standard post so their is no tracking number! Hmmmmmmm

Phoned again at 4pm, explained i need to know, as if its not going to be here i'll purchase from a store. Nope, was told its out for delivery with the courier interlink. They don't do tracking numbers and it will be delivered before 6. So phoned my local interlink courier. They asked me for the tracking number obviously. Eventually they checked their system by post code, no delieveries for me. And all delieveries have been delieverd to my area already.

So phoned Dell straight back explained the situation and the rep put me on hold, said he called interlink and as it was with their Dublin office it won't be delieverd to the local N.Ireland office until tomorrow 24th. So at this stage ill give it to lunch time and if its not here i'll purchase the laptop and refuse the dell one.

Im well aware i took a chance and do have a backup plan but i will be extremely disappointed with dells communication (and honesty!) Advertising 'ships fast' is absolutely pointless with the small print stating they will not guarentee it by christmas.

1 Message

December 27th, 2010 23:00

I too ordered based on delivery by Xmas if ordered before 13 Dec.

I ordered XPS 8100 6 Dec and was given anticipated delivery "23 Dec". On 17 Dec I checked with Dell and was told still anticipated 23 Dec.

Santa did not deliver!!!!! and was then told "shipped 22 Dec" and anticipated "4 Jan"!!!!

Today tracking shows left 'factory' 27 Dec and anticipated 5 Jan!!!

I would never had ordered (Christmas present) if I'd known beforehand.

I cannot repeat what I think of Dell's "customer service".........I'm leaving regular adverse tweets and posdting on review sites.

As based in UK I have also made a formal complaint to Advertising Standards Authority about what I consider misleading adverts!  ( If your're based in UK perhaps you'd like to join me - very easy on-line - see www.asa.org.uk )

1 Message

December 28th, 2010 13:00

Ordered a notebook for my son for Christmas on Dec 2nd because they provided a delivery date of Dec 20th.  It was a toss up between the XPS17 or a Sony Vaio. I chose the Dell because of the delivery date. NO SHOW! 

Within one minute of placing the order it was "In Production". On Dec 20th, I tried to cancel the order but could not because it was in the "later stages of production" Looks like they simply grabbed the cash and ran leaving me waiting in the dark.

There is now an estimated delivery date of Jan 13th, 2011 !!!

THANK YOU DELL FOR RUINING MY SON'S CHRISTMAS!!!!

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER DELL AGAIN!

2 Posts

July 15th, 2011 11:00

I ordered a Studio XPS on 6/27/2011 and was given a delivery date of 7/8/11.  On 7/8/11 it was changed to 7/15/11.  On 7/15/11 it was changed to 7/22/11.

If Dell does not have the parts or the ability to put a computer together, then they should not offer to sell it.  I would have thought that their inventory control and web applications were sophisticated enough to flag configuration options that would cause delays.  I would have considered other configurations if I was alerted to the posibility that there would be delays.

I recieved no notifications about the delays and customer service was less than helpful, all they could do was confirm the delays.  I am now trying to cancel the order.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 23:00

I likewise ordered an XPS9100 on 6/29/11 with an expected date to be delivered by 7/15/11. The only thing I have been able to count on has been their ability to move my date back another week every week. My date is now 8/12/11 having been changed FOUR time already. A call and threat to cancel has resulted in a promised 10% discount but who knows whether that can be trusted. Just about ready to cancel regardless of price reduction. These people are clueless.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2011 12:00

After cancelling my order for the XPS9100, I ordered a similar customized HP PC.  The monitor arrived within 2 days and the custom configured PC a couple of days later.  The PC actually arrived prior to the day they estimated that they would ship it. 

21 Posts

August 10th, 2011 08:00

Wait till you call Tech Support! You think delivery was bad?

2 Posts

August 10th, 2011 08:00

Just received an email from Dell yesterday 8/9/11 letting me now they have cancelled this order as the XPS9100 is no longer available. Nice trick after waiting nearly 2 months. They suggest I call Dell sales to order something else. I suggest I spend my energy telling all my customers how far Dell has fallen and not to ever consider them for anything. As a computer consultant with many customers I will be able to influence quite a number of people.
No Events found!