Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2010 14:00

Dell 1100 freezing up and not loading pages

Ever since I upgraded to SP3 and IE8 my system very often stops loading  internet pages or freezes up altogether. When I close the browser it will not reopen

and when I try to reboot a window entitled nsAppshell-eventwindow comes up and prompts me to end program. Afetr the re-boot does occour the system does work

as it should. How long I'm able to continue to work seems to vary a good bit no matter what I'm doing. I also sometimes have to turn off the CPU and power back up to regain operation.

I have run system scans for malware/spyware and get a clean report every time. I can not seem to figure out what is going on here or where else to begin.

I would greatly appreciate any and all diagnostic suggestions and resolutions to my issues. 

Thanks in advance,

COL>

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Model    Dell DE051
System Type    X86-based PC
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB
Page File Space    3.35 GB

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 28th, 2010 18:00

Did you install SP3 before or after IE8?

It's possible one of your browser add-on's is causing the problem. Try running "IE8 (no add-ons)". You should find a shortcut for "IE8 (no add-ons)" on your Start>Programs menu. If that solves the problem, you'll have to figure out which add-on is causing the problem.

If running with 'no add-ons works', restart IE8 normally and go to Tools>Manage Add-ons. Disable all of them except a few. If that works ok, you can enable some of the others, one at a time, until you find the problem. Then look for an update to that add-on, or just leave it disabled.

Ron

881 Posts

August 28th, 2010 20:00

Some registry problem related to ie7 is causing your problem. I would stick to ie 7.

If it's a registry problem in IE7 why stick with IE7? With the security issues related to IE7 you are just asking for an infection/maware. No reason not to update to IE8.

Jeff :emotion-22:

20.5K Posts

August 29th, 2010 07:00

colonelh, your topic in the Malware Removal forum went inactive after your helper asked you to post back to let him know how the update went. He may have been able to help you back in June, but the thread was closed for inactivity.

19 Posts

August 29th, 2010 07:00

Ron,

First I did install SP3 first, then updated to IE8. I was previously running XP SP2 and IE6. I had decided to do this for support and security reasons.

Also, I use Mozilla as the default browser and this issue only started after the upgrades.

So, MS said that IE8 included everything from IE7, but who knows. Could there be a problem with the jump?

In the meantime I have disabled some of the add-ons in IE8 and have not added any in Mozilla since the change.

i know we'll find an answer.

Thanks,

COL>

19 Posts

August 29th, 2010 08:00

Bugbatter,

I had thought there was no further issues with the system at that time, just one of the reasons for my lack of respone.

The system was sterile and the reboots in stand-by had ceased. It was only shortly after that when this problem came to my attention.

If there is anything I can do to assist, or if more info is needed, please let me know.

Thank you,

COL>

No Events found!