Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2008 04:00

Dell 13 in 1 media card reader problem

Hi everybody,

my wife has a xps710 windows, I am trying to solve a problem with the 13 in one media card reader. When we put the memory stick duo into the correct slot f (there are 4 of them d,e,f,and g) nothing happens. I go to my computer to look for drive f but it's not there, neither is d,e,or g. The green light on the media card reader does not come on either. When I restart the pc there is an icon on the task bar for the safe removal

of the mass storag device. I put the memory stick in, the green light is on now and it works good. I go to my computer there is d,e,f,and g. I click on f and the pix are there. I then close all windowes, Then I do the safe removal thing, it's now safe to remove the card, I remove it and the removal window closes. I put the card back in and nothing happens, unless I restart the pc again. I went to computer management/universal serial bus controllers and there it read "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer (Code 47)". The troubleshoot said to turn off the pc and unplug the device and plug it back in, I did that and it changed nothing. So what do you think I should do now? I would really appreciate any addvice I can get for this little problem.

I thank you for any help I can get.

rowtwo

101 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 17:00

Um, ok, I could be wrong, but the use of the "safe removal" option is for external drives and stuff.  Your 13-1 reader is an internal device, and removing camera cards don't require them to be "shut down" first.  What you are doing is shutting down the reader itself, and yes, it won't work again until you reboot or refresh the device using device manager.

From now on, just pull the card out when your done with it.  You will see that it works the next time you try it.

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 17:00

Instead of using "Safe Removal", open up My Computer, right click on the drive in question and select "Eject".

2.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 19:00

Both of the above suggestions will work, but this whole issue is caused by the original drivers for the card reader. I don't know which OS you are using (Vista or XP), but in any event there are updated drivers for BOTH systems. Go here, select your operating system, and then expand the "CD/DVD" section. You will see both firmware and driver updates for the card reader. Download and install both of them and you will no longer see the card reader drive letters as entries in the "safely remove hardware" list. Now, when you insert a memory card into the reader, a special drive icon will appear on the task bar. When you are ready to remove the memory card, you right click on the card icon, select "eject" and then remove the card when the icon changes colour.
Message Edited by Rebel9 on 04-03-2008 04:04 PM

258 Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

Reb - After doing the upgrades for the 19 in 1 reader (CAB-200) I found that the special icon appears in "My Computer."  Perhaps it's in the system tray for the 13 in 1 version.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2008 02:00

Thank you very much.  I learned something from everybody's response.  Thanks allot to GoBuins, I was wondering if I could just eject the card and forget about the safe removal. 

Thank you russdustus for your very informative response, I didn't know safe removal is only for external 

drives. 

Rebel9 I especially owe you a great big "THANK YOU" for leading me to the firmware and driver that I needed to download.  Thanks for the easy access to the update download site, and how to locate the updates I needed to download.  I downloaded that stuff, and it fixed up the 13 in 1 card reader to

perfection.  In my computer I now have icons for the d,e,f,and g card readers.  When I insert the memory stick, the safe removal option does not open now.  Problem solved 100%, and again I thank everybody for

jumping in and being so helpful.

rowtwo   

2.9K Posts

April 4th, 2008 03:00

You're welcome. Glad the problem is solved.  :smileyvery-happy:

April 19th, 2008 04:00

Rebel9,

Your solution also works for the Dell Precision 19-in-1 (which is the same as the 13-in-1, except the 19-in-1 has a later firmware level).

Unfortunately, Dell ships the 13-in-1 / 19-in-1 without any installation instructions.  While the service manual does tell you how to physically install the media card reader it does **NOT** mention you need special device drivers for it.

Again thanks.  Your help with XPS is also true for other Dell product lines.

P.S. For those using Red Hat Linux with their Dell Precisions, support for the reader is in release 5 (not 4). 

258 Posts

April 19th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for the additional info.

@bertrammoshier wrote:

Rebel9,

Your solution also works for the Dell Precision 19-in-1 (which is the same as the 13-in-1, except the 19-in-1 has a later firmware level).

Unfortunately, Dell ships the 13-in-1 / 19-in-1 without any installation instructions.  While the service manual does tell you how to physically install the media card reader it does **NOT** mention you need special device drivers for it.

Again thanks.  Your help with XPS is also true for other Dell product lines.

P.S. For those using Red Hat Linux with their Dell Precisions, support for the reader is in release 5 (not 4). 

2.9K Posts

April 19th, 2008 14:00

bertrammoshier,

The available firmware update for the 13-in-1 also adds additional memory card formats which upgrades these older readers to 19-in-1.

Glad you found those posts helpful. :smileyvery-happy:

258 Posts

April 19th, 2008 15:00

Thanks again.

@Rebel9 wrote:

bertrammoshier,

The available firmware update for the 13-in-1 also adds additional memory card formats which upgrades these older readers to 19-in-1.

Glad you found those posts helpful. :smileyvery-happy:

340 Posts

May 4th, 2008 18:00

Hi!  I'm so glad I found this thread.  I've been posting under Desktops-General Hardware.  I have a Dim E520.  Now before I download this firmware and driver updates, I want to make sure I have the same reader.  Mine is a 13-1 but says TEAC USB HS not HH.  And I don't see any CA200 in the description. 

Also my 2 usb ports on the front disappear too, not just the card reader.  Also my  external card reader in my HP printer disappears after I use a sd card it, too!!   HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Is the 13-1 internal card reader connected directly or through a USB Hub?  On the Dell Drivers & Downloads for the TEAC CA200 HH 13-1 Card Reader it says it must not be connected throught a USB Hub.  How do I tell exactly which reader I have? 

And also I started having problems with the drives disappearing AFTER I put in a sd card I had used in my new Garmin GPS.  The GPS can play mp3 and jpeg files.  I put some songs on a sd card, put it in the Garmin, put it back in the pc.  

Please check out my posts under Desktops-General Hardware.

Christine

Dimension E520 Desktop
MS Media Center Edition 2005 - Current
Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6300
2GB dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM
Integrated Audio - SigmaTel High Def
Video - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
320GB HD
D: is Philips DVD-Rom DROM6316
E: is NEC DVD+-RW ND-3650A
Monitor is E207WFP

Inspiron 6000
Win XP sp2 - Current
Intel Pentium M 730 (1.6ghz/2MB)
Accelerator 900 Graphics
80GB HD
Phillips DVD+-RW SDVD8820
Intel PRO/wireless 2200

Inspiron 1501
Win XP MCE
2gb AMD Turion 64
1GB DDR2 533MHz 2 Dimm
Phillips DVD+-RW SDVD8820

Comcast Cable Modem to Alpha Shield firewall to Netgear Router. Wireless to Inspiron 6000 & 1501 and wire to Dim E520. 

ALSO my external card reader in my HP printer does the same thing!!  It disappears too.  Why would that be? 

258 Posts

May 4th, 2008 23:00

The Dell driver page only reports the Teac CA-200 HH 13-1 card reader for your PC.  See it here under the "CD/DVD" category - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_E520&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

46 Posts

June 7th, 2010 00:00

Hi there,

Sorry to piggy-back on this post but I have identical problems to those above, but when I try to download driver updates, it won't allow me to do so. Where am I going wrong?

WM

46 Posts

June 7th, 2010 00:00

I should add that it says that the application is not formattted, if this helps.

WM

No Events found!