Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2013 10:00

Dell 2305 Blinking Amber Power Light

A few days ago my client called me and said they were having with their 2 year old Dell 2305 AIO computer.  I went to the store and found after running the Dell diagnostics that the hard drive was failing.  So I had Dell send out a new one to replace the defective one.  I reinstalled the OS and ran the computer for two days, updating it before giving it back to my client.   It was fine, I dropped it off yesterday, booted it up, no issues, and the customer was happy.  Get a call from the customer this morning stating that they left the office last night around 6pm and left the computer running.  Came in this morning and the screen is black and computer won't respond.  Power light on side of computer is blinking Amber.  Is it now a bad motherboard?

3.1K Posts

August 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi qhcomputing,

If the power button light is blinking amber, it indicates that a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Try to drain the residual power from the desktop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Then remove all the cables including AC Adapter, keyboard and mouse from the computer.
  • Press and hold the power button on the computer for 10 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC Adapter, keyboard, mouse only.
  • Restart the computer and check if the computer is functioning properly.

Also check the light on the AC Adapter. Does the light remain on or goes off after it is connect to the computer? If none of the steps work, it might be a motherboard issue.

No Events found!