Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2016 07:00

Dell 3459 All in One Lags repeatedly

I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3459 i5 processor with Windows 10. The computer works fine for about 30-60 minutes, then begins to lag for about 5-10 seconds every 3 to four minutes. For example, when I am typing, the computer will stall and I will not be able to type for a few seconds, then the computer will come back, often with what I typed while in suspension appearing on the screen. I have done all of the troubleshooting and no errors have been found. Same happens while using the internet with EDGE. The screen will hang with the circle then come back in a few seconds. 

While not a big problem it is particularly annoying. I can reboot, and have another 30-60 minutes on no lagging, but after spending so much on a new computer, this should not be happening. I would welcome any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how I can fix it.

There is also a problem with the Display Driver stopping and recovering. Not sure if this is related.

Thank you very much for any responses. 

5.2K Posts

January 16th, 2016 12:00

Load the Task Manager and monitor CPU usage when you are getting lagging. You will probably fine at least one program suddenly using 100% of CPU time.

16 Posts

January 16th, 2016 17:00

It appears to be something called Service Host Remote: Procedure Call (2). The CPU goes way up during the freeze and I am not able to type or click. How do I fix whatever is happening to cause that to spike? It is using over 30% of about 37% CPU usage. It also gets worse the longer the computer is on. If I reboot the computer will work well for a while, but then this happens every minute or so with the large spike. Is there any way to stop this from happening. Help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you very much for a response that will end my misery.

16 Posts

January 16th, 2016 17:00

Thanks, that is a great idea. I will give it a try.

5.2K Posts

January 16th, 2016 19:00

This is a control program that works to link a computer to a server. Is needed for a variety of reasons. I am on my tablet and it is inconvenient to do a lot of searching. Please do a web search and see what you can find. I will also look using my desktop, perhaps tomorrow. Someone tried to defeat it and blue-screened - not a good thing to do. Others are having the exact same issue with response freezing and the same 30% CPU usage. 

16 Posts

January 17th, 2016 03:00

Thank you. I have done a search and there is not too much on it. I saw one post similar to mine, and as you said, not a good result to try to disable. The curious thing is my computer will work fine for about an hour, then this starts happening. The problem goes away on reboot. But I have to reboot too frequently for it to work without issue.

5.2K Posts

January 17th, 2016 07:00

The slowdown results from a delay in getting a connection to whatever connection is needed. This is most likely routine connections to the internet if you are not connected to a corporate server. One thing that might help is to modify the addresses used to get to an outside server that then links to the internet. Right click on the wireless icon in the notification area and select "open network and sharing center". Then on the left side click on "change adaptor settings" and on the next page double-click on the wireless icon. on the Wi-Fi Status box click on settings at the bottom left, then on Wi-Fi Properties, click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and then click Properties at the bottom right. On the Properties page, click the selector for "Use the following server addresses", and then enter the following addresses:

Preferred DNS Server   208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS Server    208.67.220.220

Most likely your address are currently set to be obtained automatically. This can result in slow server responses for the internet. Many programs routinely access the internet looking for updates. I have used these address to solve several internet connection problems.Let me know what happens.

16 Posts

January 17th, 2016 09:00

Hi, unfortunately, this did not stop the problem. The computer has been on a while now, so the problem is occurring every couple of minutes. Interesting how the problem gets worse the longer the computer is on.

While this is going on, toward the end, my computer sometimes makes a sound like there is a notification, but there is no notification.

I see that the memory for this Service Host Remote Procedure is also very high.

16 Posts

January 17th, 2016 09:00

Wow, thank you very much. That is the kind of information I was looking for where I would otherwise have no clue. I am using Ethernet, not wireless connection; but I went into that and followed your directions. Was that the correct thing to do? Also, I see that I also have "Internet Protocol Version 6." Should I do the same or anything with that? They are both checked.

I will let you know if this works, and hopefully it will. And others may see this solution as there is really not much out there on this.

16 Posts

January 17th, 2016 10:00

Thanks. Should I put the same entries into v6?

5.2K Posts

January 17th, 2016 10:00

Go to the Windows 10 update in Settings, click on Advanced Options, then Choose How Updates Are Delivered. Then turn off Updates from More than One Sourced.

5.2K Posts

January 17th, 2016 11:00

No. IPv6 uses a different type of Open DNS server codes. For example, addresses are like this:

2620:0:ccc::2      and

2620:0:ccd::2

Both your router and your internet supplier need to be IPv6 also. I'm not going to worry about this for a while.

16 Posts

January 17th, 2016 12:00

Thanks. That Windows update setting was already off.

So, I have rebooted again and the CPU usage is minimal. Since it takes about an hour or two for the CPU for the Service Host Remote to start heating up and using the 30+% usage; and the Memory used seems quantitative, building up to nearly 200 MB, could this be some kind of memory problem where the system is not set to handle it?

I can't understand why the computer will work with no problems for a couple of hours, then start behaving like this.

Thanks for your help with this.

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 05:00

Did you finally have this lag problem resolved? I am having the same problem as yours, with 8GB RAM. And is driving me nuts

5.2K Posts

January 15th, 2017 13:00

Do you monitor how much RAM is being used? Some apps have memory "leakage" issues, and keep using  too much. Use the Windows Task Manager to monitor RAM. You could also try the Advanced System Care (free) Performance Monitor, which also has a Clean RAM feature which can clean up junk in the RAM.

1 Message

May 9th, 2017 08:00

Hi

I have the same problem as the Original Poster on my Dell Inspiron 13-5378 laptop.  I have tried all the fixes mentioned in this thread without success.  I have also found quite a few other posts on the internet regarding Service Host: Remote Procedure Call" causing mini-freezes after the laptop has been running for 30 - 60 minutes (and I have tried all those proposed fixes, too!!!).  Is there anything else to try, or has anyone solved this issue?  Thanks.

No Events found!