Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2012 17:00

Dell 4700 dual monitors

I'm trying to set up dual monitors on a Dell Dimension 4700. Using a Nvidia video card in the PCI slot on the motherboard. I've done this on many computers but cannot get it to take on this Dell. I tryed changing the BIOS from auto to onboard. The card is good it will run dual monitors on another computer I have. So I'm missing something, if anyone has any useful info I'd appreciate it.

November 13th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Please share the name or model of the nVidia card so that I can check its compatibility with the system. The BIOS should be set in the auto mode and not onboard for it to detect the new card. I would like to know what happens when you connect the monitor to the new video card, are you getting a no video situation or are you able to see the display on one monitor.

Also, this system was shipped with a power supply 305 W which may not be sufficient for the video card.

Please reply for any further questions.

14 Posts

November 14th, 2012 17:00

The video card is a nvidia MX 4000 for PCI slot. When I installed the card the computer did not recognize it and when trying to install the driver it could not locate the card. Yes one monitor was working correctly

In Device Manager under Display Adapters it shows - Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL  twice???

Then under Properties showing

One having PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0

The other PCI bus0, device 2, function 1

When I disabled The Intel(R)82915G/GV/910GL  the one having PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0 the the nvidia card showed up in Device Manager and the driver for the GeForce MX 4000 installed.

In the Display Control Panel > Settings it showed display 1 & 2, where you'd drag the monitor to match the physical arrangement of your monitors. And the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor was active. But the second monitor would not respond. Also the nvidia never showed in the control panel Settings, both Intel(R) did though.

I restarted only to have a terrible time getting the BIOS back functioning. Thought I lost the computer. The strange thing is once I got the computer back running with the nvidia card and driver removed. The Display Control Panel under Settings still shows two monitors to drag in place. It also showed that before I even started this whole process.

I think it has something to do with the two Intel(R) in the Device Manager -  Display Adapters

I've giving up on this project unless you may happen to have a solution. The computer has a 3.40 cpu with 2 GB of ram and runs well so I might as well leave it as is. The BIOS took me some work to get back.

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Please try re-installing the graphics card in the below mentioned troubleshooting sequence.

• Enable the Intel graphics card.Take out the MX 4000 graphics card from the system.
  • Change the BIOS setting in to auto.
  • Once this is done uninstall the nVidia driver from the device manager by right clicking on it.
  • Re-install the drivers for the graphics card
You can re-install the driver from the link mentioned below:
Hope this helps.Please reply for any further questions.

14 Posts

November 15th, 2012 04:00

If it was that easy on this 4700 I would not even be posting here. I appreciate your time in looking up the driver which I already have. But apparently you didn't read my last post or fully understand it.

I think I may have to uninstall one of the Intel(R) from the system but not sure which one, possibly the PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1. Not sure why it has two in the Device Manager. Or if it should. Maybe I installed the Dell driver twice?

I doubt I'll find anyone here that has good info on this. I have two identical Dell 4700 computers so I may do a trial and error till I figure it out.

November 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi Pinevalley,

I appreciate your expertise. As you have two systems it would be best to check the card on both the systems and compare. If the Intel driver is reflecting twice in the device manager, you can try uninstalling both the drivers and then install the Intel driver for your system from www.support.dell.com

Please reply for any further questions.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 17th, 2012 10:00

I'm trying to set up dual monitors on a Dell Dimension 4700. Using a Nvidia video card in the PCI slot on the motherboard. I've done this on many computers but cannot get it to take on this Dell. I tryed changing the BIOS from auto to onboard. The card is good it will run dual monitors on another computer I have. So I'm missing something, if anyone has any useful info I'd appreciate it.

Perhaps the 4700 isn't compatible with the MX4000, which is a very, very old design. Or, XP is defaulting to the onboard graphics, regardless if a monitor is attached. (I had that problem with a 2350 in which I'd installed a PCI video card.)

14 Posts

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Thanks for your post. I haven't got back to working on the 4700 yet but when I do I'll post back.

No Events found!