Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2009 20:00

Dell 530s graphics upgrade - Need Advice/Recommendations

I'm sure you get a lot of these threads, given the limitationss of the Dell 530s slim case, PSU, etc, so my apologies in advance.

In mid-2008 I purchased a Dell 530s, and I'm currently satisfied with the performance, apart from the graphics card.

I'm looking to upgrade to something like the ATI Radeon HD4670 512mb, given that it seems to be a decent card that is also low-profile. The price is about right, too. Something I was wondering about though... whenever I look at these cards for sale, they say PCI-e 2.0.

I'm not too well-versed in this region of computers though, so I must ask.. Is this a good choice? Is it compatible with my current 530s? If not, what are some good/better alternatives?

The current specs, if it helps in any way:

E8400@2.83Ghz

3GB Dual Channel 667Mhz DDR2

320GB SATA HD (Probably irrelevant.. lol)

256mb PCI-e x16 Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find out exactly how low the power supply is.. If you could tell me how I could find out, I'd be thankful.

Thanks!

3.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 02:00

Hi Vide, ATI say you will need 400w for the 4670 see HERE, and your PSU will not support that. Also, you cannot upgrade your PSU in an slimline system. However, you can use the ATI HD 4550 HERE, also the 8600GT low profile version. The PCIe x 2.0 will work in your system, I use the 4550 in my 530s see specks below, and have had no problems running my games with this card. As for your PSU, you will find it is an 250w PSU.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2009 03:00

Hey, thanks for your help. :D

However, I've read some bad things about the 4550 I was hoping that you could clear up.

For instance, this comment from newegg:

"Can't even tackle a 3D FPS like Battlefield 2142 without significant artifacts, lockups, etc."

Something to do with it being 64-bit?

I'm hardly aiming for Crysis glory, but I do like to indulge in a bit of gaming with my friends, occasionally with newer games. So, I'm looking to avoid lag as much as possible with a low-profile card, with decent settings. What sort of performance levels do you get? Am I doomed to low settings on new games because of the limitation the PSU is placing on my choices? ;_;

Also, there seems to be some complaints about driver support, has this changed (or was it ever really a problem)?

And egad, 250? O.O

Thanks again, and sorry if I'm annoying.. lol

3 Posts

January 9th, 2009 04:00

Perfect, this sounds like just what I was looking for.

You seem to be the 530s guru around here.. lol

Keep up the awesome work,

and thank you!

3.7K Posts

January 9th, 2009 04:00

Hi Vide, I run games like Unreal Tournament, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty ( World at War ) and Caesar IV, and have had no problems playing these games. As for driver support, Im using 8.9 at the moment, although there is 8.12 on the ATI web site. But I do like the 512MB DDR 3 ram you get with the card.

1 Message

January 16th, 2009 13:00

Hello to the both of you,

Ive got a very similar 530s to vide, and i've read through your guys discussion and I thought I too would get the "ATI Radeon HD 4550 DVI HDMI 512MD DDR3 Ram". I thought great my problems been solved. But yet again, like I've tried with so many other cards that say "their good for slim profile computers, I ring up the stores and they say that they're not low profile cards and are infact normal sized. I then relised the cards I was looking at all had VGA, DVI and TV out, not HDMI and DVI by themselves. If you could please point me in the direction of a website that sells the 'ATI Radeon HD 4550' LOW PROFILE cards, I would be most greatful.

Thanks guys

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 18:00

M.English, there's a link in the reply post from Robin at the top. That link brings you to the product at Newegg and this is indeed a low profile card with DVI, HDMI, and VGA. The card comes out of the box with the larger adapter plate, but the low profile plate is also included in the box. Basically a few screws takes it off the larger adapter and on to the low profile adapter. I bought mine at amazon.com for $65 because I have Prime Shipping. Newegg is 49.99 after rebates, which I also hate dealing with rebates. Excellent card IMO. I'm trying to piece together a blu ray drive for my 530s and also get into a HDTV monitor... baby steps...

Just noticed his link was actually for a Sapphire Card. I bought the ASUS ATi Radeon 4550. This ASUS has the DVI/HDMI/VGA outputs.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121281&Tpk=asus%204550

3.7K Posts

February 18th, 2009 02:00

Hi hawks066, As per your private message. The blu-ray drive will fit into the 530s, though it is an tight fit. These drives are longer than the others, it will cover your mobo were you have your memory, but it wont touch them. I have all 4 memory slots used, so there is no problem for me. However, if you dont have all 4 slots used, then it will be an case of moving the drive forward to get your memory in.   

No Events found!