Highlighted
Dell620
1 Copper

Dell 620 frozen screen for over 8 hours reads, "windows loading files."

Hello.

My computer started up yesterday and simply went to a black screen with the words, "Starting windows."  But it stayed there for too long.  I shut it down manually and then restarted.  It then said, "Windows was not shut down properly etc.  Click fix (recommended) or start Windows normally.  Both options didn't work.  I tried running a diagnostic test which is only supposed to take 5 minutes but after 30 minutes I shut down again.

Any advice?  Please help.  Frustrating.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: Dell 620 frozen screen for over 8 hours reads, "windows loading files."

Hi Dell620,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the computer.

Check if the computer works in Safe mode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo. Select Safe mode with networking.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer. Tap F12 and Select Diagnostics. Let the diagnostics complete and check if you get any error message.

Let me know the status.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
Dell620
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply Nikhil D.  When I tried to run a diagnostics test it just went to a black screen for 30 minutes.  Is it supposed to do that?  Also, could my screen not be frozen but still "loading files?"  

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Dell620
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply Nikhil D.  When I tried to run a diagnostics test it just went to a black screen for 30 minutes.  Is it supposed to do that?  Also, could my screen not be frozen but still "loading files?"  

Thank you!

0 Kudos

Hi Dell620,

We can run startup repair which helps in most cases. First, disconnect any external devices connected to the laptop. If there is a disc present in the optical drive please eject it. Follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Switch on the computer and tap F2 key to enter the BIOS.
  2. Once in BIOS, press F9 to load BIOS defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS.
  4. Tap F8 key repeatedly at Dell logo for windows "Advanced Boot Options".
  5. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Last known good configuration “and press enter.
  6. If the computer does not boot to windows, restart and repeat Step 4.
  7. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight "Repair your computer" and press enter.
  8. Select the input language and select your user account.
  9. Once at "System Recovery Options", click "Startup Repair". 

Please post the results.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
Dell620
1 Copper

Hi Nikhil D,

I followed your directions last night. After clicking on "Last known good configuration" all I got was a black screen that read, "starting windows" that stayed like that for 15 mins.  So, i restarted and repeated step 4 and clicked on "Repair your computer" and I got the "windows is loading files" message and that lasted about 30 mins before I simply turned off the computer.  Could windows loading files take over a day or more to load?  

I'm at my wits end.  

Thank you so much for all your help.

0 Kudos

Hi Dell620,

Let us first run the hardware diagnostics to ensure hardware functionality. (Do not restart the computer when the test is running).

Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.
  4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.

If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I will tell you next course of action.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Dell620
1 Copper

Good Morning, Nikhil D,

Here is the update.  After following your above instructions, my screen quickly went to a blue screen where white writing scrolled quickly up but before I could even read it, the screen went all black and the cursor arrow was frozen in the middle of the black screen.  I let it sit like that from 8:30 to 11:00pm until I turned off since nothing was happening.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.  

0 Kudos

Hi Dell620,

Please check if hard drive is detected in BIOS screen. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo to enter BIOS seup screen.

Check if hard drive is detected besides SATA 0 and reply with the findings.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Dell620
1 Copper

ST31000524AS (1000.2GB)  Does that mean yes, the hard drive is detected?  Thank you.  

0 Kudos