Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2013 08:00

Dell 620 frozen screen for over 8 hours reads, "windows loading files."

Hello.

My computer started up yesterday and simply went to a black screen with the words, "Starting windows."  But it stayed there for too long.  I shut it down manually and then restarted.  It then said, "Windows was not shut down properly etc.  Click fix (recommended) or start Windows normally.  Both options didn't work.  I tried running a diagnostic test which is only supposed to take 5 minutes but after 30 minutes I shut down again.

Any advice?  Please help.  Frustrating.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi Dell620,

The problem could be with the hardware or software of the computer.

Check if the computer works in Safe mode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo. Select Safe mode with networking.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer. Tap F12 and Select Diagnostics. Let the diagnostics complete and check if you get any error message.

Let me know the status.

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for your reply Nikhil D.  When I tried to run a diagnostics test it just went to a black screen for 30 minutes.  Is it supposed to do that?  Also, could my screen not be frozen but still "loading files?"  

Thank you!

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for your reply Nikhil D.  When I tried to run a diagnostics test it just went to a black screen for 30 minutes.  Is it supposed to do that?  Also, could my screen not be frozen but still "loading files?"  

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi Dell620,

We can run startup repair which helps in most cases. First, disconnect any external devices connected to the laptop. If there is a disc present in the optical drive please eject it. Follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Switch on the computer and tap F2 key to enter the BIOS.
  2. Once in BIOS, press F9 to load BIOS defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS.
  4. Tap F8 key repeatedly at Dell logo for windows "Advanced Boot Options".
  5. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Last known good configuration “and press enter.
  6. If the computer does not boot to windows, restart and repeat Step 4.
  7. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight "Repair your computer" and press enter.
  8. Select the input language and select your user account.
  9. Once at "System Recovery Options", click "Startup Repair". 

Please post the results.

8 Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Nikhil D,

I followed your directions last night. After clicking on "Last known good configuration" all I got was a black screen that read, "starting windows" that stayed like that for 15 mins.  So, i restarted and repeated step 4 and clicked on "Repair your computer" and I got the "windows is loading files" message and that lasted about 30 mins before I simply turned off the computer.  Could windows loading files take over a day or more to load?  

I'm at my wits end.  

Thank you so much for all your help.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi Dell620,

Let us first run the hardware diagnostics to ensure hardware functionality. (Do not restart the computer when the test is running).

Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.
  4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.

If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I will tell you next course of action.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2013 06:00

Good Morning, Nikhil D,

Here is the update.  After following your above instructions, my screen quickly went to a blue screen where white writing scrolled quickly up but before I could even read it, the screen went all black and the cursor arrow was frozen in the middle of the black screen.  I let it sit like that from 8:30 to 11:00pm until I turned off since nothing was happening.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.  

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi Dell620,

Please check if hard drive is detected in BIOS screen. Restart the computer and tap F2 at Dell logo to enter BIOS seup screen.

Check if hard drive is detected besides SATA 0 and reply with the findings.

8 Posts

August 16th, 2013 06:00

ST31000524AS (1000.2GB)  Does that mean yes, the hard drive is detected?  Thank you.  

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Dell620,

As the system is not booting into windows you can try to repair the computer from the Operating system disk. If you have the disks please follow the steps to repair your computer:

1. Boot your computer from the CD/DVD and choosing the Repair Your Computer option.
  2. Choose your operating system and click Next. A list of system recovery options will appear. Here you should choose Startup Repair.
  3. Startup Repair will automatically find problems with your computer and try to repair it. Once it’s finished, restart your computer and see if your problem occurs.

If the problem persists then you need to do a manual reinstallation of the operating system in the computer and download the drivers.

Note: In the process of reinstalling operating system you will lose all the data in the computer.

Please reply for further help.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 15:00

I also have a dell 620 desktop computer and am having the same problems.  I have been following the steps in this forum and have gotten the EXACT same results as dell620.  Dell620 is describing my problems exactly.  I put a new hard drive in the computer and its still has the same problems.  The last step on this forum states the the operating system may need to be reinstalled.  I can not do this because the computer will not boot off of the windows CD.  The cd drive spools up, but then it goes back to the black loading screen and locks up there.  I have tried everything and i don't know what else to do.  Could this be a motherboard problem??

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hi Sprint12,

The issue could be with the memory modules, please reseat the memory modules and run ePSA diagnostics on Memory.

Refer this link to reseat the memory: http://bit.ly/UESqJb

To initiate the ePSA, restart the computer and tap F12 key at Dell logo, select Diagnostics. The ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input. To select Memory device to test, tap the Esc key and select Thorough test on Memory.

Please post the results.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 17:00

I have reseated the memory.  Booted the computer and pressed F12.  I select Diagnostics.  As soon as diagnostics is selected the screen turns blue and words appear.  I believe it is running the quick test like you stated.  When I hit the escape key nothing happens.  The screen then turns all black with the cursor stuck in the middle of the screen.  It is frozen at this point.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 17:00

Hi Sprint12,

The issue appears to be with the memory/memory slot on the motherboard. To isolate the problem between the memory sticks and the motherboard, please follow the below mentioned steps:

Restart the system with only one memory in slot A and check if the system is starting. Switch off the computer, remove the 1st memory from the slot A and put in the 2nd memory in slot A and restart the system, check if the system is switching on with second memory and check the memory stick which is not working or check if slot A is working or not.

Please post the results.

8 Posts

September 4th, 2013 06:00

So, my Dell620 is dead. After too many hour long calls to Dell Support they told me to take it to the Geek Squad.   I took it to the Geek Squad and they tried everything.  They think I either need a new motherboard or processor.  They told me it would make more sense to buy a new harddrive.  I can't believe it.  I'm disappointed that Dell would sell a harddrive that would only last one year. That is correct.  I only had it for a year. 

No Events found!