Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2014 13:00

Dell 730x Replacement Motherboard

Greetings,

I have two 730x computers where the motherboard has gone bad.  They are both out of warranty.  I am looking to replace/upgrade one or both (instead of building one from scratch or having one built or buying premade).

I understand the 730x uses the ATX form so I am looking at something along the lines of a GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

First, will this work?  Second, any guidance and/or advise on proceeding would be greatly appreciated.  I haven't played around with building/upgrading computers in quite a few years.

Many thanks,

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 25th, 2014 09:00

Its not ATX and its not standard and the control panel and other pinouts are not documented. So No it won't work.  The processor is not LGA 2011 either.

The P270J motherboard is not generic.

10 Posts

February 25th, 2015 12:00

I am still looking to upgrade my motherboard.  I read on a wiki Dell XPS 730x page that the 730x can use EATX motherboards.  Does anyone know if this is accurate information?

If so I am considering the ASUS Rampage V Extreme. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 25th, 2015 13:00

Batai

No, that is not correct.

The XPS 730x chassis has a Dell proprietary BTX format, the ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard is ATX.

Bev.

1 Message

May 13th, 2016 10:00

Not true: There are a variety of mobo's that have been successfully installed into the 730x case, with great success. Check out http://www.xpsuser.com/. There are also more versions of BIOS that can be flashed into the system as well, adding a wide variety of RAM and CPU upgrades.

No Events found!