Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2015 05:00

Dell 8700: Won't Boot in UEFI with Win 7

I installed a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and removed the 2 other platter drives.  I had the system in UEFI mode when I tried to boot to the CD to install Windows 7 Ultimate but it wouldn't see any bootable devices.  I had to change to "Legacy" mode for it to boot.  After installing Windows 7 I tried changing it back to UEFI and it still wouldn't see any bootable devices and again had to go back to Legacy for it to boot.  I have "secure mode" off. In order for the system to boot I have to leave it in Legacy mode.

What do I have to do to get into UEFI mode and get it to recognize my Win 7 installation on my SSD? The SSD is the only drive in my system now. This is my first UEFI system so I'm not too familiar with UEFI.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 31st, 2015 06:00

UEFI is not a boot mode.  UEFI is windows 8 mode.   GPT partitions are supported in systems with UEFI bios in CSM Legacy mode.  MBR Booting and Partitions are not allowed on UEFI machines with CSM.

64 bit versions of the OS are usually required.  Secure Boot (UEFI) prevents any OS other than WIN8 , 8.1, Or Ubuntu 12.04.4 from loading.  Many SSD's require SATA OPERATION to be AHCI not ATA.

You will have to create a partition on the blank ssd and format it before installing.  It will then have 350meg MSR and the rest of the drive will be the SSD. BIOS uses MBR   UEFI uses GPT partitions.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2015 06:00

Thank you for your very thorough and informative reply.

So for me to use UEFI I would have to:

1. Erase the drive since the partition table type is wrong.

and

2. Install Windows 8 (I could no longer use Windows 7)

Sounds like I'm waiting for Windows 10 to come out before I do this. :emotion-2: 

Thanks again

No Events found!