Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2017 19:00

Dell 8920 - Replacing the 250gb NVMe M2 drive that the machine came with, with a 1TB Samsung NVMe M2 960 Pro

I have just purchased a new Dell XPS 8920 that comes configured with a 250GB NVMe M2 drive as the boot drive and I’d like to replace this with a Samsung 1TB 960 Pro MVMe M2 drive however I can find no way to load the Dell OS Recovery in a way that it can see the new disk and load Windows 10.   BIOS sees the drive, but not the recovery tool.   Has anyone got any suggestions or tried to do this?

307 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 05:00

I suggest you look at this thread regarding problems getting the Samsung NVME M.2 to boot. en.community.dell.com/.../20011828.

Instead of using the recovery tool, why not just image the 250GB NVME M.2 and then restore the image to the 1TB NVME M.2 using something like Macrium Reflect Free Version?

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 06:00

Thank you for that suggestion.  I’ll give both a go!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 14:00

That is that I did with my Inspiron 15 5577 model.  I upgraded the OEM M.2 SSD with a 500 GB Samsung EVO M.2 SSD.  I made a complete (all partitions) image using Macrium Reflect to a separate USB connected drive.  I installed the new SSD.  Booted with a Macrium "rescue" Flash Drive and restored the image to the new M.2.   Booted with the new M.2 and then used (free version) Mini Tool Partition Wizard to expand the "C" drive partition to the full size of the new SSD.

4 Posts

October 25th, 2017 03:00

Well, as it turned out there was a new BIOS release last week and that has appeared to solve the problem because in the past the 960 was not identified.   With the new BIOS I in stalled Windows 10 using the Dell Recovery Tool with RAID on which is how it was configured on delivery.   Then I turned RAID off and installed again and she was up and running.   The Samsung Magician was able to run its utilities because it could not with RAID off, so this was a much better solution with the drive running per the manufacturers specification and I was able to load the Samsung NVMe drivers.  Thank you for your help.

No Events found!