Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2017 14:00

Dell 9010 Multiple Monitors question

First post on the Dell forums, so.. hi everyone!

With that out of the way, I apologize if this is as common a question as it would seem. I have been doing research on this for a few days now, poured over the help sections, Google, re-installed the OS (and updated), even contacted Dell support, and I haven't found out the exact answer I'm looking for.

So I have a Dell 9010, 3.4Ghz i7, 8GB Ram, and an integrated Intel HD4000 graphics card. I want three monitors on this PC.

First, I'll start off with: I tried both passive and active DP adapters. I'm really confused because they did not work for me, and the help section clearly states they will not work, but I've seen several other Dell customers post online say that active adapters worked for them. Not really my issue, but I am curious about the multiple answers.

So I read that it *has* to be two authentic display ports and either VGA or DVI as the third option, no HDMI. Well, that's what my company eventually went with, and now its.. almost there.

See, the computer will see all three monitors, but I can only get two of them to work at a time - I can swap between them at will using Windows 10, but the point remains, that only two are actually active, but all three DO work.

I've already updated the BIOS, Windows, the HD4000 drivers, checked for additional updates via Dell.com, checked out the BIOS (I was reading about "multiple monitor" options on BIOS, this one does not have it) and still have found no answer.

The ONLY thing I can think of is, while exploring, one of the help options had this cryptic message:

//

WHAT DOES NOT WORK (HD 4000/HD 4400 ONLY)

"Any display that does not natively support video input from DisplayPort."

//

However that Knowledge Base answer was specifically for Dell Latitude Notebooks with Intel HD 4x00 graphics, and not a desktop.

Assuming that is the case, the third monitor in question, which is using the VGA port, does not have a DisplayPort, but the other two monitors do. Do I need to replace the third monitor with a monitor that has a displayport, just to use the VGA port anyway, in order to actually achieve three monitors on this set up?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this, and I will try (almost) any solution offered.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2017 07:00

Glad you joined us! First, we need to know which of the four 9010 you have?

Left to right = MT (Mini Tower), DT (Desktop), SFF (Small Form Factor), USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

October 5th, 2017 11:00

Hi Chris!

Thank you for the quick response! The device in question is a SFF.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2017 12:00

The onboard VGA port cannot upconvert to a monitor DP or mDP in ports. Using an active converter, the VGA could upconvert to either DVI or HDMI monitor. But you should not need to do this. Read this article.

Optiplex 9010 DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in port
Optiplex 9010 DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> #2 monitor DP in port
Optiplex 9010 VGA out port --> VGA to VGA cable --> #3 monitor VGA in port

October 5th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for the info and the link, I appreciate it.

I investigated what you presented and I'm at a loss. This is exactly how I have the system set up. Two DP monitors using DP cables, one monitor using VGA. Going through graphic properties gives me no options for multiple displays, it only allows me to choose between the two active monitors.

Next to the Graphics Properties option there is a Graphic Options, and clicking on that gives me quick access to rotating and scaling through the drop down menu. Interesting enough, there's an "Output" option that allows me to swap the active monitors to ANY of the three monitors, but still only allowing me to use two.

Meaning, I can freely swap between using DP1 and VGA, DP2 and VGA, or DP1 and DP2 as dual monitors, but there is no option anywhere to allow all three monitors at one time. This rules out any monitor not working, because I can use any of them, just not *all* of them like I want.

Even through Windows Display Settings, it shows all three monitors, but monitor 3 (whichever it may be at the time) is always dark grey and disabled, with no way of enabling it through Display Settings, or through the Intel Graphics Properties.

Just to recap: I have two DP monitors and a VGA plugged in. I followed the steps on the article with no change or option to change to three monitors. I know that all the ports on the motherboard are functional, as are the monitors, and I know the computer sees all three monitors and even lets me swap which two of the three are active at any given moment, plus the PC in question has the latest updates for BIOS, Windows, Graphics Drivers, chipsets, etc.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2017 06:00

Not sure. Perhaps our driver is at fault. You can test the retail Intel Intel HD4400 GPU driver and see if it will install. Then see if it changes the outcome.

October 6th, 2017 08:00

Totally willing to try anything at this point, thanks Chris!

I will let you know what happens when I can get access to the PC in question.

October 6th, 2017 11:00

Hello Chris...  What about the USFF?  

Thanks...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 7th, 2017 09:00

You lost me. USFF means (Ultra Small Form Factor) desktop. What is your specific question about the 9010 USFF desktop?

October 10th, 2017 05:00

Hey Chris, an update for you:

When I attempted to install the 4400 driver I received an error message during installation:

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type."

I cannot proceed any further with the install once that message pops up.

Any other options or tips I can try?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 10th, 2017 09:00

Your referring to the retail driver, correct? If yes, then that means you can only use the Dell OEM driver. Why, no idea.

October 11th, 2017 05:00

Correct.

Well, I do appreciate the help, and it makes me feel a bit better to know that I'm doing things the right way, but for whatever reason just not getting the right results.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case any new suggestions come up but I've already scoured the internet for alternatives and nothing fixes it.

Thanks for your time, Chris!

No Events found!