Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 02-04-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

Dell AlienFX and Thermal Monitor Usage for XPS 625/630i/730/730x

Dell AlienFX 1.0.36v2 A04

Dell Thermal Application Vista 64

Dell Thermal Application XP/Vista 32

NOTE - You must choose one application to run the colored LEDs. Either the Dell AlienFX or the Dell NVPerformance or the Nvidia ESA software NVPerformance. You will run into conflicts if your usage mixes them.

NOTE - You must choose one application to adjust the fans. Either the Dell Thermal Monitor or the Dell NVPerformance or the Nvidia ESA software NVPerformance. You will run into conflicts if your usage mixes them.

Replies (17)
4 Tellurium

Thanks for that Chris.  Do you know if the AlienFX Lite application will work on a 630i with a replaced motherboard (an EVGA 780i FTW), or is this specifically for the Dell mobo?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

• Waited 'til the dust settled before posting. Glad you're still here. I've the Nvidea ESA NVPerformance (system tools) v.6.02, and my lights seem to be stable, now. I can change from one static setting to another. Is there any benefit to using the XPS 730 software, or AlienFX software? Any new tricks?
  • Also, which thermal monitor is R202118.exe for? The monitor that came w/my 630 is Nvidia, and I believe it works properly. Is R202118.exe different, or improved over the apps in 630i download & drivers list?
3 Argentum

Do you know if the AlienFX Lite application will work on a 630i with a replaced motherboard (an EVGA 780i FTW), or is this specifically for the Dell mobo?
* No idea. We only tested it on our motherboards.

Is there any benefit to using the XPS 730 software, or AlienFX software? Any new tricks?
* I think they are just easier to use.

Also, which thermal monitor is R202118.exe for? The monitor that came w/my 630 is Nvidia, and I believe it works properly.
* Not sure I understand your question?

Is R202118.exe different, or improved over the apps in 630i download & drivers list?
* It reads the same hardware sensors. In my opinion, it is just easier to use.

3 Argentum

Does the themal monitor app control fans as well or just reports temps?

3 Argentum

Does the thermal monitor app control fans as well or just reports temps?

3 Zinc

Just reports Temps, well thats all it lets me do.

Alienware Area 51 ALX

i7 970

GTX 580

3 Argentum

rats!!!!, I was hoping that i could lose the ESA stuff and just run the thermal app and alienfx.  Well, looks i'm stuck with the esa stuff until i upgrade.

Community Manager

Test4

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

4 Tellurium

I loaded the XPS 730x R202927.exe AlienFX Lite application onto my XPS 630i. When done, I restarted the XPS 630i. When you start the application, click THEME- New Theme. Click on Basic or Advanced. Make your changes, save them.

Hi Chris.  This HotHardware.com XPS 730x review states:

The LEDs can also be set to change depending on what applications are running and even in response to user configured events such as receiving new email.

Is this a function of the AlienFX Lite application?  And if not, what is performing the LED light changing capability?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor