Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2010 11:00

Dell Datasafe Basic - Update - Message Window

I want to congratulate your programmers on the newest version/update of Dell Datasafe local backup Basic.

First of all, upon installation of the update, I got an annoying window pop up in the right bottom of my screen covering my desktop unremovably, notifying me about - presumably - how to update to the full version, but most of it (including ANY actionable buttons!) appearing off-screen which made the full notification impossible to read, let alone to actu upon or eliminate in any manner. After a 15 minute session with your telephone support, which involved the agent entering my system remotely and doing everything he could (turning off notifications, emptying the Temp directory, etc. etc. etc.) the notification window disappeared - only to re-appear and remain in the exact same location and form again, EVERY SINGLE TIME I rebooted my system, and in spite of the fact that I had turned it off  - and it was showing as having been turned off - in the 'Notification Area Icon' menu!

The second time I called you, I was disconnected after 11 minutes of waiting. The third time I was the one who hung up - after I waited on the telephone (again) for over 15 minutes.

Yes, I figured out the solution myself: just uninstall the whole stupid program which, given how it behaved, would better deserve the designation of 'virus' anyway.

Again, congratulations! I have never had a program that managed to convince me about its absolutely useless, annoyingly instrusive, and utterly dysfunctional nature faster than this latest update did! To write something like this is quite a feat, and - though I doubt this was actually its intended purpose - it convinced me to get rid of it, and never to buy this software or anything remotely similar to it from Dell - ever. This is quite a spectacular achievement, given that MS and many other companies took years (if at all) to convince me to do the same with their products.

Keep up the great work! With a bit more effort and (lack of) forethought, expertise, or intellect, you might just succeed in bankrupting this company faster than you (or your miserable customers) could ever hope!

881 Posts

September 26th, 2010 12:00

So would you recommend this program:

1) Extremely Highly

2) Very Highly

3) Somewhat highly

We are just users trying to help other users. Dell sure has it's problems, no doubt. Take a look at the HP forums - I think it is worse over there.

Glad you got it fixed.

Jeff :emotion-22:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

I'm sure they'll be glad to hear.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Hahalman

WOW, thank you for your thoughts about Dell's Datasafe local backup Basic.   :emotion-8:

Bev.

2 Posts

HI Jeff,

I would recommend 'Extremely Highly' - NOT to use or install the update.

It is one thing to waste the customer's time with useless ads - I am used to it from most other companies, so why would Dell be any different? - and quite another to essentially disable a portion of the customer's computer or its functions, and thereby forcing him/her to either a) buy the software, b) struggle with Tech Support for over half an hour, or c) desperately unsinstall anything and everything related or connected to the software, and do all this with what is supposed to be a free feature!!!

By the way, regrettably, I know HP and its 'qualities' all too well...:emotion-12: I bought Dell because I had heard high praises about the quality of its hardware; obviously, I should have read up on its software as well...

Best regards,

- Hahalman

459 Posts

April 15th, 2014 11:00

Wow, how very articulate of a complaint.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 15th, 2014 13:00

This thread is four years old and has been locked, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

459 Posts

April 15th, 2014 17:00

I'm reading everything!

No Events found!