Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2013 19:00

Dell Desktop Inspiron 620 won't switch on

Hey Folks,
So I have this two years old Inspiron 620 and it has been working fine for the most part. Last night I accidentally unplugged its power cord while removing another cord from power outlet. And now the system wont switch on.

I am a little hardware aware so I opened it up and I can see the green light behind PSU and I can see there is a constant RED light on motherboard. If i remove the Power Cord both these lights remain on for a good 20 or so seconds and then they go off. I removed all the accessories from the mother board (Hard drive, DVD, Wireless card and stuff)  -- I then unplugged RAM and re-installed it, I also removed and plugged back the main motherboard power cable but no luck.

No matter how I try there is no activity on the PC - the CPU fan never rotates. Can someone help me identify what might be wrong with it. I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

38 Posts

January 20th, 2014 09:00

You wrote: "disconnect the front panel USB panel's cable that is going into Mother board and yes that did the trick." It also worked for me !!

There are 3 black cables (each abt 1/4" in diameter) going from the small USB & audio front panel to the MB. Each cable was disconnected then the power was applied. The cables were reinstalled one at a time until all 3 were re-connected. Power on worked as advertised for each step. Hopefully this procedure will not have to be repeated each time it is turned on.

Since there is no logical connection between the USB and audio ports on the front panel with power on capability Dell should be ashamed that they haven't broadcast a workaround until the problem is finally fixed. Frustrated Dell customers are completely justified in refusing to buy future Dell Products. I just joined that group.

Thanx for posting the fix. If you ever discover a reason why this works plz post that too.

Still Bewildered

2 Posts

March 29th, 2015 09:00

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi Assasin_creed00,

How comfortable are you with electronics? What I would do is try the paperclip trick to test the power supply.

I'm not sure what could have happened but depending on how the power was disconnected, you could have a bad power button, power supply or motherboard.

December 31st, 2013 17:00

Thank you for replying.

I am quite into electronics and I have built PC's from ground up and stuff so I am not that novice with it.

I did try to short pin 16(green) and black and yes power supply does switch on and its fan works so its not a power supply issue. I have removed almost everything form the motherboard i.e. Hard drives and LAN/Wifi cards - I also removed both RAM chips and then installed one RAM module back.

When I plug the cable into the pc - there is light behind the powersupply and the red light on the motherboard is also lit. I suspect it is the power  button in the ATX casing that is causing the problem.

Is there any specification of that button's cable - I can short that power switch cable if i know which cable is of the power switch

Let me know.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, that's an easy part to replace.

Ok here is a quick update. So on some random thread over the internet I read the tip to disconnect the front panel USB panel's cable that is going into Mother board and yes that did the trick.

Removing the Front USB panel's cable from motherboard has got the job done - I am not sure why that is - but I will investigate and post for future reference

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 31st, 2013 18:00

Removing the Front USB panel's cable from motherboard has got the job done - I am not sure why that is - but I will investigate and post for future reference

Are there any bent pins in the sockets?

38 Posts

January 19th, 2014 11:00

Hello: i am unable to power on my Inspiron 620 and am willing to try to disconnect the "USB panel's cable" from the motherboard but am uncertain which cable to remove. On the front panel is a "block" about 4" wide and 1" high housing two USB ports with 3 black cables (each about 1/4" diameter) going to the motherboard. Is one (or more) of these the "USB panel's cable" that shd be disconnected from motherboard ?

Bewildered

38 Posts

January 21st, 2014 07:00

There appear to be FIVE ports on "front i/o panel" (2 USB; 2 audio; 1 unidentified) but only THREE plugs on motherboard. If the problem persists and if none of the 5 ports is used can the plugs be permanently disconnected from the motherboard ?

UPDATE :  the 3 cables were still connected to motherboard during power on - it failed. When they were unplugged from motherboard power on works as advertised. It's a mystery to me why signal cables should prohibit power on but at least a work-around has been found.

Still Bewildered

1 Message

April 25th, 2014 14:00

Hi, I bought my Dell Inspiron 620 desktop machine in early 2012. It had a faulty, noisy, skittering, hard drive that failed in August, 2012, but Dell replaced it... no big problem. Same symptoms occurred yesterday (04/24/2014) for me. Eventually, the same "solution" too. For no apparent reason, my Dell Inspiron 620 desktop would not power on. I pushed the on button and absolutely no response. The green "power supply in" light on the back was lit up. The red/orange "power's getting to the system board" light on the system board was on. But no response when I pressed the front panel power-on button; No whistles, no buzzes, no fan noise. I tried unplugging everything and pressed the on button. No response. Pressed it multiple times. For 20 seconds at a time. Real, real, hard. Nothing worked. I ran across this post/chat/whatever it is. Your symptoms were like mine, so I tried the solution. I took off the computer's side cover. Located the three cables from the front panel USB bank. Looked at the system board design on the pdf of the service manual I downloaded from Dell when I bought the machine. (I'm typing this up on a different computer). I unplugged the power cable. Then I unplugged the two "front panel USB connectors" (items 15 & 16 on the schematic). One was attached to the system board with a black plastic connector and the other with a green plastic connector). I left the third cable (front panel audio connector, schematic item 18 connected to the system board with a yellow plastic connector) in place. I plugged the power cable back in, held my breath, and pushed the power button. Fans began to whirl, the computer buzzed, and it started up. I logged onto my main account and copied everything I remember touching in the last couple weeks since my last full backup to my external hard drive. I wanted to send this back to the web to affirm again that this solution seems to work. I haven't yet powered down, replugged the front panel USB connectors, and repowered. Hope that all goes well.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2014 18:00

Thanks to all who posted this fix. I just had the exact same symptoms from a Dell 620. I couldn't get the computer to not power on. The customer would take it home, plug everything in, get it to turn on once, and then after that it would not come on again. They brought it back to me for repair and I couldn't get it to fail to power on. They took it home and same problem again. After reading this thread the light bulb came on.  I asked my customer if she plugged anything into the front usb ports. She said she had always plugged her keyboard in the front. In all my testing I had always plugged the keyboard into the back usb port.  So I had here move the keyboard to a back usb port. Guess what, it powered on without a problem. She'll let me know if it stops coming on but not having anything plugged into the front usb ports when powering on the 620 seems to be the answer.  Don't know what the fault is in the Dell motherboard for the front usb ports (or the port itself) but maybe there is some kind of a 5Vdc fault or overload condition that the crowbar circuit in the power supply is detecting and prevents it from powering on. 

2 Posts

November 8th, 2014 15:00

After purchasing a new Dell power supply and installing, nothing happened.  Read this information and cannot believe that after disconnecting two of the USB cables the computer powered on... so frustrating!  Our 620 Desktop has been so reliable until our last power outage.  Just figured it was time for a new power supply.

Dell needs to find out what is causing this and posting on this site so we can repair them.  I just kept the cables disconnected for now.  Thanks to all those that figured this out or we may have just bought a new computer.

38 Posts

December 16th, 2014 14:00

UPDATE - the original bug (failure to power on) returned with a vengeance ! A replacement power button cable assy was purchased long ago and seemed to fix the bug but for some unknown reason recently failed. The original cable assy that came with the machine was re-installed but it too failed. Since there is a spring-loaded button which, when pressed, starts the power on sequence it seemed reasonable that both switches (original and replacement) were defective. The switch was removed from one cable assy and the 2 leads were "shorted" together - power on started but quit after only 1 second ("one small step for man"). However by "un-shorting" the 2 leads and just touching them together briefly the power usually turns on. But on one trial a USB device had to be removed from a REAR port before the machine started. Apparently the tech gremlins have taken control of this from Dell. They used to make sturdy equipment but apparently have decided to focus on profits by using cheap components and refusing to make needed upgrades for their faulty machines.

Bewildered

1 Message

March 7th, 2015 07:00

I bought an Inspiron 620 slim back in September 2011 and has worked great until today. I had the same problem as reported in this forum.

So I just unplugged the front panel USB connector (USBF1), the one that has a green plug on the end of it, and the PC started. I then turned it off, plug the cable back in and it started again. I then tested the front USB ports and memory card reader and everything worked.

I'm hoping this will not happen again, but if it does, I can live without the front USB ports.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

March 31st, 2015 18:00

Thanks to all who posted before regarding this problem.

My 2 cents: Removed front usbf2 from motherboard and restarted computer with no problems. What gives, Dell?

No Events found!