Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2013 19:00

Dell Desktop Inspiron 620 won't switch on

Hey Folks,
So I have this two years old Inspiron 620 and it has been working fine for the most part. Last night I accidentally unplugged its power cord while removing another cord from power outlet. And now the system wont switch on.

I am a little hardware aware so I opened it up and I can see the green light behind PSU and I can see there is a constant RED light on motherboard. If i remove the Power Cord both these lights remain on for a good 20 or so seconds and then they go off. I removed all the accessories from the mother board (Hard drive, DVD, Wireless card and stuff)  -- I then unplugged RAM and re-installed it, I also removed and plugged back the main motherboard power cable but no luck.

No matter how I try there is no activity on the PC - the CPU fan never rotates. Can someone help me identify what might be wrong with it. I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

9 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 18:00

Yay! Worked for me. Just unplugged all 3 connectors and left them unplugged. Didn't start with the first button push but did with the successive frantic pushes. Guess I'll have to get a new desktop because Dell hasn't come up with a cure. I can't trust this one now. I did notice over the year or so I've been having trouble with this problem that if I select restart it starts every time but if I select shut down most of the time it won't start unless I unplug all the back panel plugs and wait a couple hours. This time that didn't work but unplugging the front panel plugs did. Thanks. 

9 Posts

May 8th, 2015 08:00

My house power went out for a while last night. Now my Dell won't start. I guess unplugging those plugs was only a temporary fix. Now what? 

38 Posts

May 20th, 2015 10:00

Hi Mineo: apparently dull (Dell) tech support is still sleeping since this has been a known bug for MANY YEARS.

I now own FOUR power cable assemblies (reasonably priced if NOT bought from Dell) - one works consistently if only 2 USB devices are attached to REAR ports during power on. Be sure that all 5 cables from FRONT panel to motherboard are disconnected (at MB end). There are only 3 connectors on my MB for 5 cables (thanx Dell).

Good luck !!

Bewildered

9 Posts

If they were trying to sell the MB I didn't realize it. They did say they'd repair my pc but at a cost.

I agree about warranty periods. But I don't think any manufacturer will have a longer one. That's just the way business works. Lifetime warranty would be nice!

38 Posts

Hi again Mineo: did Dell try to sell you a new MB ?? If so it shd not be a surprise since Dell is definitely NOT a non-profit organization.

Is it interesting how PCs that worked well initially mysteriously fail after the warranty expires ("made in China" syndrome ??).

Bewildered

9 Posts

Thanks Arbee3. I got a pm from someone at Dell. They checked my warranty status and hinted it might be the motherboard. So since it's out of warranty I decided to take out the hard drive and put it in a case. Now I'm using it as an external HD. 

If I ever hear the solution maybe then I'll try to get it up and running again. Until then my pc sits idle.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2017 12:00

Thank goodness I found this post.  Mysteriously the fix works.  SHAME on Dell.  I have been buying Dell Computers for over 20 years.  Sadly I will have to reconsider sources on my next purchase.

1 Message

April 26th, 2017 17:00

our 620 quit, so I replaced the power supply. when I first turned it on, the fans spun, so I thought all was good. left it alone for a week or so, and went to hook everything back up and nothing other than the red/orange light on the mobo. I tried the paperclip from green to black and the fans spun, even acted like it was going to boot. powered it down, pressed the on button, and it fired up again. did this twice and I thought I could get the monitor on it (I reset the cmos, passwords, you name it, i tried it). unplugged the power cord to move the PC, and once again, no startup at all! ran across this thread, unplugged all cables to the front panel and it acted like it would boot again. again I moved it to the monitor and again, the silly thing wouldnt boot. this time the paperclip would only let it get power when connected. it will not boot at all with the paperclip holding power to the mobo. any other suggestions before I step into the replace the motherboard realm???

totally befuddled.

38 Posts

April 27th, 2017 07:00

Hello: following is a post of mine which helped me temporarily when first posted. The power-on plastic button has been replaced MANY times with a new one. Finally (after implementing attempted fix below) i just stripped the insulation off from the wire leads to the button and "shorted" them together to boot up - works every time if you first unplug power cord and then short the leads (discharges a capacitor ??). Reattach power cord and short leads a second time BRIEFLY.

Thanx Dell for allowing us to test your products without additional charges while learning useless stuff.

Bewildered Bob

=============================================================

Apparently dull (Dell) tech support is still sleeping since this has been a known bug for MANY YEARS.

I now own FOUR power cable assemblies (reasonably priced if NOT bought from Dell) - one worked consistently if only 2 USB devices are attached to REAR ports during power on. Be sure that all 5 cables from FRONT panel to motherboard are disconnected (at MB end). There are only 3 connectors on my MB for 5 cables (thanx Dell).

Good luck !!

====================================================================

No Events found!