Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 21st, 2007 07:00

Dell Dimension 1100 - Orange light flashes...

Dell Dimension 1100 - when powering up, green power light comes on but so does the Orange light on the front panel. This orange light flashes repeatedly and though the Fan can be heard as well as the HD spinning up, there is no output ot the monitor. I took the cover off the side to see what happens and on the Motherboard is a green light in a constant state when the power is on. Any ideas ? Op System is XP2 but doesnt really get to the stage of running up. Have checked in manual but cant find verbage relating to orange light function.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 21st, 2007 11:00

Joe_90_BigRat,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

It could be that your motherboard has died. Remove all memory modules and turn the system on. If you do not hear any beeps from the board then, the MB will need to be replaced. Post back here in the forum.

November 21st, 2007 12:00

Jesse Thanks for the reply. I took out the 2 memory modules, powered up and got same symptoms - and yes, there were no beep codes. How do I go about getting a replacement mobo ? any sources that Dell recommend ? This PC is key to our charity and would like it up and running as soon as is possible. I *think* its out of warranty but need to check.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2007 20:00

Joe_90_BigRat

If your computer is not under warranty, you can buy a replacement from either Dell Spare Parts or from here for $99.99 with free S&H.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

December 3rd, 2007 06:00

Bev and all
Got a replacement mobo and swapped out. Symptoms are still the same - on front casing green power light comes on while orange light flashes. There are no lights lit on the back (the 5 in a row) yet the fan spins up as does the HDisk when power button pressed. Cover taken off the side and a green light on mobo shows power getting to mobo (whether its enough I aint qualified to say but would *seem* ok) ... this is weird. No display on monitor. This is getting to be a real pain. Anyone any ideas as to what the orange light flashing on the front casing actually means ? Can't find description anywhere. Thanks all.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 3rd, 2007 20:00

Joe_90_BigRat

Have you rechecked all the cables and cards by removing and reinstalling them?

A silly question, but you did transfer the processor from the old board to the replacement, if you did, is it installed correctly?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!