Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2015 12:00

Dell Dimension 1100

Don't think that lightning won't strike twice in the same place.  A few weeks ago, lightning struck close enough to the house to fry my 220 Workstation's motherboard and Comcast's modem.  The same happened about this time last year.  Both times, it was close enough to feel the concussion INSIDE the house.

My fall-back position is a Dimension 1100, which I transfer parts into from the defunct Workstation.  Since it'll be a while before I can rebuild the Workstation, I decided to put both hard drives in the Dimension.  It has, of course, a tray for just one.  The second hard drive is now in the space for the second CD/DVD, and it looks just a bit unprofessional. 

Is there a Dell tray available for two hard drives that drops into the Dimension 1100 case?  There's a two-piece adapter available, but it looks like a two-piece adapter, not a Dell part.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 4th, 2015 22:00

Thanks for the response, but I have one OT962 tray in the machine, and another on the way from eBay.  My Significant Other says that when she doesn't understand me, it's because I didn't explain it right.  So...let me try again.  I can put the two OT962s together with some kind of clamps, but in doing that, it'll take a fair bit of labor to do, and undo, if I need or want to remove either hard drive.  Not to mention drilling a hole in the chassis, for the screw that holds the second OT962 in place.  I was hoping to find a single tray to hold BOTH hard drives in place, one that just drops into the Dimension 1100, and screws in place "easy peasy."  I may have to just bite the bullet, and do the clamping shtik.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks, again.

J.

Thomas Johnson

As far as I know, a Dimension 1100 'Double Hard Drive Tray' has never been made, either by Dell, or by any third party parts manufacturers.

Because the Dimension 1100 uses a MITAC ATX chassis as Dimension 4600 and the Dimension 2300/2350/2400/3000/4700/1100, you can use the same instructions for installing the Hard Drive Trays, see pages 17 & 18 Here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-4600_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

July 4th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the response, but I have one OT962 tray in the machine, and another on the way from eBay.  My Significant Other says that when she doesn't understand me, it's because I didn't explain it right.  So...let me try again.  I can put the two OT962s together with some kind of clamps, but in doing that, it'll take a fair bit of labor to do, and undo, if I need or want to remove either hard drive.  Not to mention drilling a hole in the chassis, for the screw that holds the second OT962 in place.  I was hoping to find a single tray to hold BOTH hard drives in place, one that just drops into the Dimension 1100, and screws in place "easy peasy."  I may have to just bite the bullet, and do the clamping shtik.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Thanks, again.

J.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 4th, 2015 17:00

July 5th, 2015 06:00

With the diagram, it's clear how the two trays fit together.  Or...in the words of Oracle Jones, from the movie "The Hallelujah Trail," NOW I SEE IT!  That solves the problem.  Thanks.

J.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 5th, 2015 11:00

Thomas Johnson

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

Ps The Hallelujah Trail, is one of my favourite movies. :emotion-2:

No Events found!