Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2014 14:00

Dell Dimension 2400 Blue Screen Of Death Error

Hello all, I recently made an effort to get my Dell Dimension 2400 back up and running. I stopped using it because I upgraded computers. But now I have a use for it. However I installed a new hard drive in it and started installing windows XP Home edition, In which I only loaded up so far in to setup until I got a Blue Screen Of Death. So after a few more trials and errors I attempted to make a last try. I used another desktop to install a copy of XP in which went perfect without any issues to speak of. So I reinstalled the hard drive into the 2400 and got a blue screen reading. " Techinical Information: STOP: 0X0000008b (0XF78B8640, 0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000) What could this be, I saw other people had this issue but did not read a solution. I cannot even get to the point of trying to boot into safe mode before the computer locks up. Thanks for anyone who reads this

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 14:00

Hi Patrickd1234,

You cannot move a system drive from computer to computer. You'll need to install XP onto the hard drive in the 2400. So tell me what's going wrong.

January 18th, 2014 15:00

Will do, Ill post back the results I get if anything major happens, thank you for the help it is greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Yes, try that. The CD provides its own operating system so it does not matter that you have no OS on the hard drive.

The only USB driven device on the system is a keyboard, I did not add any add-on cards to the system. I am using the onboard VGA output. So the next step would be to run the diagnositics on the CD's that dell gives you with the computer? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

The error is associated with both hardware and driver problems, but since the XP installer is using basic drivers, the error points to bad hardware.

The first step in disgnosing the problem is to remove all unnecessary USB devices and add-on cards, then just try installing again again. If the problem repeats, you should boot to the Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the Dell diagnostics to try to identify the faulty hardware.

Thanks for your response Osprey4,

I booted the 2400 into windows XP setup direct after posting, and it is loading all of the setup files, I then formatted the Hard Drive for installation. Once that is started Setup started copying setup files. I got to 25% in which the computer screen went black then the blue screen showed up, now it says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" That is the same message that I keep getting. Thanks for your help

No Events found!